Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the high idle mod and how do you do it?

·
Registered
350 Posts
What is the high idle mod and how do you do it?
i was just gonna make a thread about this ......... ive been wondering how to do it too .........maby someone can show us ? thanks

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm not a diesel man (yet anyways), but why would someone want to do this mod? Just curious.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
I'm not a diesel man (yet anyways), but why would someone want to do this mod? Just curious.
Shorter warm up times, less chance of wet stacking, keeps AC cool in the summer during extended idle times, better jump starting.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i like the odometer trick. altho i wish i knew what all those different information codes ment. i can figure out a few but the rest is huh lol

·
Registered
350 Posts
in the link it says it was done on an 05 and claims that the wire colors are diffrent for each year ....... would they be the same for an 06 ???

·
Registered
247 Posts
Manual Tranny???

i like the odometer trick. altho i wish i knew what all those different information codes ment. i can figure out a few but the rest is huh lol
What's the odometer tirck?

AND....

In the thread it makes mention of possibly being able to do this to a manual tranny truck. I looked everywhere(in the thread and on the net) and haven't seen anything in the about how to do it with a manual. Anyone have any insight?

tks, David.

2,850 Posts
What's the odometer tirck?

AND....

In the thread it makes mention of possibly being able to do this to a manual tranny truck. I looked everywhere(in the thread and on the net) and haven't seen anything in the about how to do it with a manual. Anyone have any insight?

tks, David.
I think someone tried it but couldn't get it to work with a 6spd :dunno:.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think someone tried it but couldn't get it to work with a 6spd :dunno:.
Yeah. I just tried it and no luck. Which sucks cause I live in Grand Forks, ND. I Just bought the truck from Kansas City and I'm almost scared to start it in the winter. :eek:hnoes:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I do. I just moved here and this last winter was killer. -30 with a 30mph is a different kind of cold.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I heard somewhere that Ford sells a kit for this that lets you install a switch that will not only high idle, but allow you to control the RPM between 1200 and 2500 rpm. I just cant find it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks 03-blue, been trying to find a link w/ wire colors for '03. I plan on using to when running my winches as well as these Iowa winters. Hit -52 last winter and this will be my first winter w/ the diesel. I saw mentioned in a link about how all trucks have block heaters installed, just no 110v AC lead installed. Any info on that?

·
haters gonna hate 24/7.
3,801 Posts
I heard somewhere that Ford sells a kit for this that lets you install a switch that will not only high idle, but allow you to control the RPM between 1200 and 2500 rpm. I just cant find it.
if you click on the first link that 03 blue posted up, it actuall explains how to hook it up so it varies the rpm's and tells you witch wire you can use to actually control the idle w/ a turn knob. :thumb:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Thanks 03-blue, been trying to find a link w/ wire colors for '03. I plan on using to when running my winches as well as these Iowa winters. Hit -52 last winter and this will be my first winter w/ the diesel. I saw mentioned in a link about how all trucks have block heaters installed, just no 110v AC lead installed. Any info on that?
Mine didnt come with the cord, but yes all of them have block heaters, i thought it was pretty stupid but, if you live down south where it really never gets that cold, well there no need to have a cord hanging out the front of your truck!, I simply went to the auto parts store and they had the cord in the warehouse, the heater itself is just above the starter at the rear of the motor on the pass. side, i routed mine into the frame and strait out the front above the tow hook..works great! good luck:thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts