Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having issues with High idle:

2000 7.3, 6spd manual, 4x4, stock, no chip, no nothing.

All last winter (08-09), when you started the truck it would start, sit for a minute and then kick itself over into high idle.
-this is as it should be as I understand it..?? (ebpv)

About springtime high idle stopped working, it just wouldn't go into high idle. At the time I didn't think anything of it.. it still worked perfectly, no codes, etc. I just figured it was because it was warmer out with it being spring.

Now that it is getting colder again I have discovered a problem. That is.. high idle just doesn't work.

It will not kick itself into high idle. If you reach down and manually change the idle control module over to high idle it tries.. it revs up and then when it reaches about 1100 it either drops back down, or it dies. Same thing if you are sitting there in the driveway in neutral and you put your foot on the go pedal. It will rev till about 1100 and then bounce down and back up.. or die.

It seems to die when its cold, but if its been warming up for a minute or two; the rpms just drop.

Interestingly enough if you hold your foot steady right at where it should idle at 1100 you can hear it and watch the rpm needle drop to 600 and jump back to 1100 then drop.. then jump.. then drop..etc.

Even if its WARM and ready to go.. and you are sitting there in neutral.. when you rev it up it dies. So I could be sitting there with it warmed up and step on the pedal and it revs to 1500 or higher then bam.. dies.
if you are in gear and driving... no issues. runs like normal. revs to over 2k without a hiccup.

I've been sitting here all morning reading about ebpv, idm, .... and a million other acronyms.. But none I read so far seem to quite fit what Im getting.

Anyone want to take a stab at this?? What is the issue here?

edit: All tests were done with the ebrake on.. which as far as I can tell is the only difference between me driving and me sitting in the driveway with my foot on the gas.. in case that helps..

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Well on mine, it does it on its own only if it's cold enough. And if it's even colder there is a limiter on it, it will not rev at all - pedal is disabled, it was only that cold once. But it revved up on its own after a bit.
Difference is mine's an auto.

SO the truck is starting, neutral safety switch has got to be good.
EBPV can be there or not, that does not change your idle, that simply helps warm up. So that's ruled out.
Since you said the only difference is that the parking brake is on, maybe release it and try to rev. God only knows why that would be anything, but that would rule it out too, or narrow it down.

Also, can you manually change the idle when it's warm...?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EBPV can be there or not, that does not change your idle, that simply helps warm up. So that's ruled out.
Since you said the only difference is that the parking brake is on, maybe release it and try to rev. God only knows why that would be anything, but that would rule it out too, or narrow it down.

Also, can you manually change the idle when it's warm...?
See I was under the impression that when the ebpv closed it "signalled" the truck to go to high idle..
You're saying that the truck will high idle regardless if the valve is closed or open?? Thats too logical :)

I will chock it tonight and in the morning try it with the ebrake off. Who knows right..

Even when it is warm I canNOT manually change the high idle. I change it on the module and it tries.. but won't stay up there. I tried it while jump starting a friends really really dead car. Tried to kick it on to high idle (truck was warm), and no dice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chocked it. No difference.
Now if I turn it to high idle on the module.. it doesn't even try. It just blinks at me and does nothing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts