Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,719 Posts
I did ask if the coolant mix is off a little if it would cause higher pressures, but I was told no. I think it might though because the boiling point is different with different coolant/h20 ratios and I am sure mine is not exactly 50/50. I was leaking coolant a while back somewhere around the fan shroud but I know it wasn't the water pump; anyways I kept having to add coolant/h20 while it was leaking and out of the blue it just stopped leaking! So the ratio might be a little off. I am not monitoring ECT/EOT right now but it is next on my list.
The mix percentage has a affect on the temperature the coolant will reach. Water has a better heat transfer then antifreeze so it will act differently. So if you lower amount of coolant and add more water the truck will run cooler and that will lower the pressure inside the cooling system. It is all relative but if your not in a real cold zone you can dump a gallon or more and add straight distilled to bring level back up. Your pressure will drop 1-2 psi, I know this for fact because I have done it myself.
Another thing if you lower coolant level you will have more air so you will have more area for thermal expansion and lowering the cooling system pressure. The important thing here really is: once heated up to operating temp if you vent the cap does it build back up or not!?

·
Motor Head.
1,733 Posts
Just curious what happened with this ?

·
Registered
768 Posts
The mix percentage has a affect on the temperature the coolant will reach. Water has a better heat transfer then antifreeze so it will act differently. So if you lower amount of coolant and add more water the truck will run cooler and that will lower the pressure inside the cooling system. It is all relative but if your not in a real cold zone you can dump a gallon or more and add straight distilled to bring level back up. Your pressure will drop 1-2 psi, I know this for fact because I have done it myself.
Another thing if you lower coolant level you will have more air so you will have more area for thermal expansion and lowering the cooling system pressure. The important thing here really is: once heated up to operating temp if you vent the cap does it build back up or not!?

When you vent the cap after driving for awhile at operating temp...How long do you have to wait or drive the truck to see if pressure has built back up in the degas?

·
Motor Head.
1,733 Posts
I vented mine and drove it immediately ,just be very careful when venting it,because you will be doing it at full operating temperature.I used a rag to turn the cap and you will hear it as you turn the cap very slowly,once the pressure is out you can drive it and it shouldn't go back over 2 psi.

·
Motor Head.
1,733 Posts
What ever happened here OP,is your truck running ok ?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Sorry for the ignorance but how do u monitor your coolant pressure, I would like to be able to monitor it to. I do have and edge evolution but I don't know if it can monitor the coolant pressure.

Good luck with your issue.

·
Motor Head.
1,733 Posts
Sorry for the ignorance but how do u monitor your coolant pressure, I would like to be able to monitor it to. I do have and edge evolution but I don't know if it can monitor the coolant pressure.

I have mine hooked to my edge cts monitor through a press or sensor.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,719 Posts

Sure you can monitor the cooling system pressure with a universal pressure sensor that goes to 30 psi or so.
Will come up on the Edge CST2 or CR2 or whatever the little one is called.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have mine hooked to my edge cts monitor through a press or sensor.
Could you please let me know how you hooked it up, thanks.

·
Motor Head.
1,733 Posts
Could you please let me know how you hooked it up, thanks.
I have mine reading off the degas bottle.I have my sensor screwed into a npt fitting and the other end is barbed ,with a short piece of hose that goes on the degas bottle nipple.

·
Registered
768 Posts
What ever happened here OP,is your truck running ok ?

Hey All...Sorry to get back to you guys so late...Havent been on the site much....I actually sold my Harley truck to fund a kitchen project for the wife but in turn we decided to go another route....I ended up picking up a 2001 F350 CCLB Dually V10 with 120k on it....I decided to go gas route since my 7.3 cost me 15k in 3 years of maintenance and then my 6.0 I dumped before issues started cause of the kitchen project.

All in all im happy with the V10 runs well has 430 gearing I do 70 miles a day with it as its my daily driver..No complaints, but do miss the diesel scene just not the repair bills.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hey sorry for not responding, My truck is running good and still building more coolant pressure than i like to see. The only time it puked was when i pulled my camper to the mountains this past November. I am not loosing any coolant with normal driving though. As far as monitoring my coolant pressure what I did was cut the top 3/8 radiator hose running from the plastic nipple on the radiator to the degass bottle. Then I put a brass T in it and ran a 3/8 hose through the firewall and in to the cab where I have it mounted with a 30lb gauge. I’m not sure how accurate of a reading it will give me but that’s how I did it. I did a couple WOT runs yesterday and it built about 17 psi but as soon as I let off the gas it dropped to 14-15psi. I am assuming the cap vented but it never puked. I know if the coolant level is low enough it won’t puke but mine is where it should be.

·
Premium Member
11,503 Posts
You are living dangerously with 200° coolant in the cab with you. That is not recommended, in fact, most every thread that talks about coolant pressure says to not do that when put a gauge on. Leave it outside.

That said, I'd say there's about a 99% chance your head gaskets are blown.

·
Administrator
21,478 Posts
My 6.0 acts very similar, make sure you have a fresh cap on... they get lazy over time.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Sooooooooooo that's it .One guy gets on once and tells us what we wanted to hear for sure , he sold the truck for a kitchen . That's
blasphemy around here !
What's more worrisome is the OP , either his truck is running strong or He's scalded and rolled over in a ditch from a burst line .
I hate when threads go poof ! I wish people would come back on and finish what they started .
Many people invested collected knowledge and time to analyze this ( and many other threads ) for FREE so we can all perform our own
repairs and save money . It would be nice to hear some form of up date so these guys can verify their analysis and we can learn from each other .
Now I'm goin' back over to the " 6.0 chat thread " were the action is .

·
Registered
768 Posts
Not sure what your issue is or was but ya I sold the truck to find a kitchen for my home...not a fan of 6.0l and most that have owned them have bought the truck twice over due to repairs....want an update? Here ya go...trucks sold and bought a Cummins instead and couldn’t be happier.....6.7 ford will be next ford purchased..As for now enjoying staying out of repair shop

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,719 Posts
Ok Fellas.........Get the Rope

21 - 38 of 38 Posts