Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second HID KIT the first one would stall my truck when i turned them on.. i was told maybe i had bad ballasts and was making electircal noise.. conflicting with the computer. but this is my second kit and the same thing.

if i rev up my truck a little bit build rpms i can turn the lights on but the truck wants to die. my lights inside flicker. and today is turned my tuner off. i though it ruined it but when i shut the truck off and restarted it. it was fine.

i got this kit from vvme.com all kits seems the same. and this is my second one so im thinking i have a problem somewhere

i used relay harnesses and everything to hook them up.
the alternator is operating greatly so its not that.
my truck runs fine with the stock lights.
its just the initial fire of the ballasts does crazy things to my truck

very frustrating.

ANY IDEAS

·
Registered
188 Posts
thats news to me,,,i cant see it being a bad ballast and turning all that stuff off in your truck...wish i could help...someone will chime in with more info for sure

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i took it to two diff shops they checked a lot of stuff.. grounds alternator. batteries. everything. I know many trucks run hids around here. but i guess im the unlucky one. nothing is ever easy.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i believe so. check them out vvme.com

i didnt opt for the digital slim ballast though.
so im hoping mine is fully digital.

i have no idea what would make my truck do all those things.
and this is the 2nds set 2 dif companies.

i dont think its the product i think i have a problem elsewhere??

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
well if its only doing it with the hid kit in then its gotta be something with the kit must be shorting out and causing the truck to die...idk get your money back and just get some of the bulbs for it:dunno: i know they sell em on ebay

·
Registered
457 Posts
Where are you getting the power from? Direct from the battery or from a wire
under the dash?... Might have tapped the wrong wire and pull the voltage down
too much for the other things that wire powers.

Just a thought

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Direct Current from the battery.. still makes my truck stall.. when the balast fires it stalls my truck unless i have the truck revd up high which makes me think there is an electrical problem in my truck itself. and the initial fire of the balast stalls my truck..

I can put the lights on then start my truck just fine.. i just can switch from hi to lo because the firing of the ballast stalls the whole truck..

really bugging me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you ever figure out the problem? I am having the same problem, truck stalls when u turn on the headlights, only intermittently. Batteries n alternator are only a few months old too. I've had the vvme single beam analog HIDs for a while and they worked with no problem. Now all of a sudden the truck just started doing it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no i never did..
went through a lot of trouble trying to figure it all out..

bought 2 sets of hids. neither worked stilll stalled truck..

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Which battery are you running the power wires to?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm going to try putting regular bulbs back in to make sure thats my problem, otherwise I have no idea what it could be..

·
Registered
436 Posts
Wire the relays to draw power from the pass side battery. The PCM draws from drivers side battery and the initial load when the ballasts fire is enough to make the engine stall at idle. Happens to me too, but not all the time. I still haven't wired in my relays. Also, my lights turn on before I start the truck so I don't ahve the problem as much, only when set to auto on/off

·
Premium Member
8,413 Posts
Wait a min....

The batteries are in Parallel Everything draws from them both at the same time. You Do NOT have two systems in your truck.

The addition of whatever small draw the headlights need would be inconsequential to that system. Your batteries are supplying Many Times what headlights draw to the GP system and almost no load should be able to stall the engine.

I would think the more likely cause is the RF the ballasts produce and your trucks electronics. Try isolating the ballasts up and out of the way from everything you can, temporarily, to see if solves your problem.

One of my RetroSolutions digital ballast sits on top of my ABS unit and everytime I turn-on my headlights my ABS light comes on for 3-5 seconds because of the interference.

·
Registered
436 Posts
IDK, i know the batteries are in parallel, but this worked for a friend of mine. He didn't have any more problems after wiring a relay directly to the pass. battery. both our trucks are 7.3s, shouldn't matter though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts