Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 04 350 with a 6.0. I have done some research on the 6.0 and read about a lot of problem's as well as many with no trouble at all.
The truck has 82k on and was a one owner with oil changes at 5k interval's. It had not had a coolant change so I had the coolant flushed and changed and fuel filter's changed. I also ran the vin and it look's like it only had an EGR valve put in at 40k other wise pretty clean.
I purchased a 4yr 48k powertrain warranty to insure no huge bill's.

My question is I would like to pull the EGR and install a block off plug and pull the cat keeping it simple to change back in case of warranty needs.Will the plug isolate the EGR cooler enough to avoid flashing/vaporizing the coolant and I guess it would eliminate recirculation of exhaust gasses? Also can the cat be removed and reinstalled if needed for warranty?

If I do these thing's will I need a different tune and what will I gain if anything?
I also had some surging the other day so I ran it hard for a bit and it smoothed right out for now any way? Thanks, Kevin

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
The EGR valve block off plate won't stop the cooler from failing. If you want to stay in warranty and not have EGR cooler failure than I suggest ordering a BulletProof Diesel EGR cooler and swapping it for the stock unit.

The cat can be deleted and reinstalled for warranty purposes. Tuning it will flag the ECM and the dealer will see that and notify the warranty company when a potential claim is about to be made and they will void the warranty.

You need to invest your money in a good monitoring solution.

If you have an iPhone, iPod Touch or an iPad I HIGHLY recommend the Dashboss setup. It's what I run and I love it. It's also about $250 cheaper than the Edge Insight CS/CTS setups. Get a fuel pressure gauge on that truck as well you need to know what kind of fuel pressure your injectors are getting.

Gauges and Monitors on a 6.0 Liter Powerstroke Diesel are not optional but MANDATORY if you want to have a happy healthy relationship with your truck. Good luck with future warranty claims lol. I had one of them aftermarket warranties before and that won't happen again. Hopefully you don't ever have that problem. Good luck and enjoy your truck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! I was thinking about the spool EGR replacement that is the same as the EGR valve completely closed, that way I could retain my EGR valve to replace for warranty. The warranty I purchased is a Ford warranty. Is that what you have had problem's with?
A lot of people have tunner's and reinstall stock tune for warranty work. Is the 6.0 different? My truck has a tunner but has only run the tow safe tune and passed the inspection for warranty with the stock tune installed and the previous owner had the truck in under the factory warranty with the EGR valve problem. He just reinstalled the stock tune and had no problem. Hope my warranty isn't worthless!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts