Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys, my name is bill, i just bought but have not yet picked up a 2002 Hunter green F350 crew cab 7.3L powerstroke turbo diesel 4x4 srw.

i don't have internet hooked up yet at my new place, so i won't be on too much until i hook up my cable. i have some questions i'd appreciate some advice on when i go to pick up my truck to make sure everything is good.
i wasn't able to start a thread in the general discussion for some reason so i'm gonna try to post it here so i can start getting as much info as possible before i pick up my truck on tuesday.

now i'm new to the diesel pickups so i'm not very knowledgeable...i am familiar with alot of big rig diesel stuff though because i'm a truck driver. i've got mechanical ability...i'll show you pictures of the jeep i'm building that this truck will be towing around the tri-state area....or further if i can afford the fuel ;)

ok, so anyway. the truck appears to be in very good condition...perfect inside and out...minimal surface rust on the undercarriage...it does however have 145,000 miles and although the transmission feels good, i'm not sure what the lifespan of these automatics are...or even what they are...i'm guessing an allison? are these transmissions any more money to rebuild then any other tranny?

also...there are 3 gauge pods on the A pillar (left of the windshield, above the dash)...they measure boost, exhaust temperature, and i think tranny temp...this makes me assume that there have been mods to the ecm and/or the turbo itself. there is no dash display engine tuning module or anything...and i would think that most chips on a diesel would use one to fine tune the engine...i haven't looked at the chip itself for a bully dog, jet, or hypertec logo as i was pressed for time last time i was there. so what else should i look for when i go back?
would anything be noticeably different on the turbo or in the engine bay anywhere?
what temperature should the exhaust be running at?
what temp for the tranny?
how much boost is standard and how much is overboost?

does a tune up cost more on a diesel then on a gas engine?
how much do glow plugs cost?
can i use synthetic oils for the diesel or should i run regular?
what kind of unloaded fuel mileage do you guys with a similar models usually get?

anything else i should look for when purchasing this truck?

sorry to bombard you guys with a million questions in my intro...i'm just pressed for time and i don't have regular computer access, and i have to go to a wedding in a few hours and a fathers day thing tomorrow...so i'll check this back sometime tomorrow...i appreciate all your help guys. thanks in advance.
-Bill

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
WELCOME TO THE ORG!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
welcome to the org. from NY also , where ya located?? sounds like someone may have had ur truck tuned before. alot of guys pull the tuners before they trade um in, look under the hood for a box plugged in. as for exhaust, what size is it, if its larger then a 3.5 then thats aftermarket. also an intake would be very noticable under the hood also.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
When you get in it next, look down next to the brake pedal on the wall, thats your computer, if there is a wire out the front you got a chip of some sort. glow plugs cost between 4-18 dollars each. 145,000 i wouldnt worry about the motor its hardly broken in. as for the trans. at that amount of milliage there is noway to know, id keep an eye on temp, many say that 180 and under is normal. and that 220 and above and your burning clutches. the trans is not an allision, its fords 4r100. it costs about 2 grand for a stock rebuild, or up to 5 grand for an HD one. You can run synthetic or regular its up to you. When you go to see it, hold your hand infront of the exhuast while its running, you dont want to feel mosture. also you may want to take off the intake and look into the turbo, instpect the fins to make sure they are not chiped and cracked, that could lead to engine "dusting" which is as bad as it sounds.

Welcome to the org, i hope that helps some.

·
She's paid for!!!!!!
661 Posts
:ORG welcome:

·
Registered
804 Posts
yeah 100,000 miles is a baby.
ive got 300,000 :)

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts