Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone just purchased myself an 04 f350 with a 6.0L. I would like to know what i shoulder do to grab a little better power, and possibly a little better fuel mileage? Chip or a tune? Thanks

·
Registered
597 Posts
SCT Tuner with tunes from Innovative. 4" exhaust, and delete EGR system.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright what is sct tuner? how much do those usually run, sorry new here and i know about deleting the EGR system done one before

·
Registered
91 Posts
It is a custom tuned tuner for your truck. Its better on the transmission and factory heads than other tuners. They run about $449.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I agree with Chuckles.

You could also try the tunes from Cale at BTS(Brian's Truck Shop). Tuner and 3 tunes for 425$ last I checked.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I saw sct X3's for 365 or so somewhere today, but I think that was before tuning, which will be probably another $80 or so depending on who you get to do the tuning...

·
Registered
843 Posts
You can find tuners for cheaper, just make sure they are unlocked(sct charges 150 to unlock) and then tunes are 30 or 35$ a piece from Cale, and i've heard 80$ per from Innovative?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright, i kind of understand, so you buy a tuner, then you have to buy tunes? How do you shop for tunes?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Look around in the performance parts forum on here, the same forum you created this thread in. Lots of good information regarding tunes in there.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright thanks, I just don't know where to began, I don't want to spend tons of money its a daily driver, I just want a chip to help power and fuel mileage

·
Don't mind me
27,557 Posts
You also will want to get gauges if you don't have those before you tune it. Check out Stealth Automotive. Raul usually runs some pretty good deals on packages.

·
Don't mind me
27,557 Posts
Boost, pyro, and trans are the three most common.

·
Registered
843 Posts
boost, pyro, trans temp, fuel pressure, oil pressure, and some folks run oil and coolant temp guages.

As for just bumping up the power and fuel mileage, I would suggest a straight exhaust (straight pipe stock at a local muffler shop for ultimate value), SCT tuner with custom tune(high hp tunes give best mpg when driven right), and a complete EGR delete.

I knew very little about these trucks when I bought mine and just kept reading every thread that popped up in the forum, eventually you learn all the quirks from the knowledgable guys on here.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright, well i'm a mechanic, and work on very few diesels. But i'm going to learn on my own.

·
Registered
597 Posts
they're not too bad, pretty easy system if you are familiar with newer engine managment systems. The only PITA with these is that everything is completely "shoehorned" into the engine compartment. for example to remove the left valve cover takes about 20 minutes. You have to remove about 6 other parts before you can even get to it....

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright, i guess a big question is how long can you expect the head gaskets to last once you chip it? Without the studs

·
Registered
597 Posts
depends.... if you use good tunes, delete EGR, and use sound judgment (ie don't tow a tractor with the street race tune), have good maintenance, you could 200K with no problems. But I've seen some let go at 20K, even some let go with studs (this is rare, and I've never personally seen this one, just heard about it).

If you delete the EGR and use the milder street and tow tunes only, you'd most likely be fine for many miles to come. (provided there are not any pre-existing issues)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
alright thanks, so EGR delete is a big thing. i appreciate the help.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well do i go with the, egr block off, or the actual delete kit. I imagine the delete kit is better. but what is the main difference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts