Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Motorcraft ones in the truck have serial #s of 012012 and 021712. ( someone said that those are also manufacture dates) there are no little stickers on the Batteries. They were installed 03/15/12 So Nine year, nine month service has been pretty good. There are all of the brands and price range. O f course everyone has their favorites and dislikes. Johnson Controls ( i think the battery division was sold in 2019) makes motorcraft , Walmarts Everlast brand, Optima and numerous others.

Has anyone recently used Walmarts maxx ? warranty wise they are hard to beat. Like 129.00 each. Napa Legend 65/750cca are 169.00 online pickup at store ( which is the way i most likely go , we get a 25% jobber discount thru the Farm) I haven't found a Motorcraft retailer besides local FOMOCO dealer whom I profoundly dislike. I just want reliability, Don't need a Fancy name.I have a Walmart Maxx 65/850 in My 12 F150 with the 3.7 and it works great . I didn't purchase it , it was in the truck when I bought it. I have personally used these batteries for about 15 years on a numbers of vehicles with very little issues. I just would like to share you folks experiences.
As always the Folks at the "ORG" Rocks.......... Lj

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well..

Here's my take. Costco sells the Interstate with a 36 month free replacement warranty. I've had to swap them twice in 5 yrs but it's been free..

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
my next set will be agm for the reliability

i dont have a costco near me but i do have sams. they have agm for $169 i think, that i have my eye on

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
I've been using the Walmart Maxx in the vehicles and at the farm for some time. I believe I got about 11 of them and one Motorcraft. The Motorcraft was taken out of the vehicle is used as a winch battery; another Motorcraft that had underperformed, I've had a few.

My Walmart 65's have been bought for about $96, so either it's a regional thing, or I have bought one in a few years. For me, for the price, it's a good battery. I look at batteries as a leased item; if I have to flip them within warranty, it's not an issue; most I'll do in the pro-rated years. Walmarts are a 3/5 year warranty. Some Walmart's now sell AGM versions, but not by me, so I have no experience with them. The one's in my area are typically made that month in the 65 group size.

I have a battery tester that showed internal resistance and CCA, which, when the batteries are new, are always higher than the cold rating. They should be. The point is, I take the tester with me and find the highest CCA battery on the shelf, or if buying a pair, ones that match the closest at the highest level. If you go to Advance, AutoZone, etc., you can ask them to use their tester to check their batteries.

Hood Product Automotive lighting Gadget Bumper

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Recommend going with a parts store that you will be able to access no matter where you are that is also where ever you travel. More important for me to be able to replace them under some sort of warranty if needed, nearby.

I’ve decided that no matter where I buy them, they won’t last more than the 2.5 years for the dessert heart I live in. I even tried a trickle charger, and that may have extended the life a couple of months, so not really worth it.

With the warranty and AutoZone, I’ve swapped the batteries in North Carolina and Arizona, but they have stores in Nevada and California I find myself in. Honestly though, the batteries rarely die “in full replacement,” but at some discount. The discounted price for my last car battery was $125, down from about $165. I think this partial discount is a just under a going price for a battery, so just enough to keep me coming back to the same store.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
my next set will be agm for the reliability
That surprises me AGMs would be better than FLA.

For solar power applications AGMs get 1/4th to 1/2 the charge cycles as the flooded lead acid. The advantages of AGM for a solar build is a higher charge rate and not having to worry about venting.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I know I'm probably speaking to the choir here but with as much differentiation as there is in price out there for a car battery it would sure be nice to see an unbiased study of the different brands and if there truly is a benefit to buying a more expensive battery.

$250 for an Optima red top with a 3 yr warranty vs $100 for a Walmart Maxx, Interstate, etc.. with basically the same warranty. Am I really going to get 7.5 years out of a red top (or a more expensive battery.. insert brand here).

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Locations everywhere were another consideration for me with Walmart. In most states, they are the largest employer due to the most stores; throw a stone, hit a Walmart.

AGM's have a lower resistance so power flows out and into them faster, but they do need a different charge voltage and cycle than the typical automotive batteries. My L-N has about a 0.2v higher output, better suited for the AGMs.

Here's one test video.

Reactions: 007matman

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Over on FTE I have been a proponent of the Everstart for a long time and have shown some of the same types of data. I think they are a good deal for the price. The other option is to go for a much more expensive battery which will have a good life.

Automotive lighting Font Rectangle Bumper Gas

This is a three-year-old EverstartMaxx battery when I did this.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Parking meter Automotive tire Parking meter Bumper Gas Gadget Product Automotive tire Gadget Helmet Gas

These next ones have been in storage for way too long, they get recharged every 4 to 6 months. These numbers are after a recharge so they are a little elevated. They should not be as good if there were in service. But still ....

Battery 1.

Gadget Electronic device Automotive wheel system Font Audio equipment Gadget Measuring instrument Gas Auto part Machine Gadget Media player Audio equipment Electronic device Font

Battery 2.

Measuring instrument Gadget Gas Cable Wire Gadget Measuring instrument Cable Wire Gas Scale Gadget Electronic device Cable Measuring instrument

Reactions: longjohn

·
Premium Member
10,627 Posts
Honestly i gave up on good batteries.... I try and grab them now from Walmart, Autozone, or ORiley or Napa. that way like others said I can find and swap at a easily found national location. The days are long gone when you get 10+ years out of yellow tops etc. I had great luck with Duralast Golds and will probably get them again since their are like 4 autozones within 50 miles of me.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
They recycle the lead today, and it's just not as good as virgin lead. I have a ~15-year-old Sears commercial 4D battery in my dozer that is still good; that's not going to happen again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Recommend going with a parts store that you will be able to access no matter where you are that is also where ever you travel. More important for me to be able to replace them under some sort of warranty if needed, nearby.

I’ve decided that no matter where I buy them, they won’t last more than the 2.5 years for the dessert heart I live in. I even tried a trickle charger, and that may have extended the life a couple of months, so not really worth it.

With the warranty and AutoZone, I’ve swapped the batteries in North Carolina and Arizona, but they have stores in Nevada and California I find myself in. Honestly though, the batteries rarely die “in full replacement,” but at some discount. The discounted price for my last car battery was $125, down from about $165. I think this partial discount is a just under a going price for a battery, so just enough to keep me coming back to the same store.
Chris I agree with you.
I know I'm probably speaking to the choir here but with as much differentiation as there is in price out there for a car battery it would sure be nice to see an unbiased study of the different brands and if there truly is a benefit to buying a more expensive battery.

$250 for an Optima red top with a 3 yr warranty vs $100 for a Walmart Maxx, Interstate, etc.. with basically the same warranty. Am I really going to get 7.5 years out of a red top (or a more expensive battery.. insert brand here).

Matman this is my thoughts on where I said "I don't need Fancy" Just reliability

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Locations everywhere were another consideration for me with Walmart. In most states, they are the largest employer due to the most stores; throw a stone, hit a Walmart.
Jack Thanks for the links to the test video. Awesome information. My Son in Law said before we left Oregon to Come back Home "Pop there is a Walmart on almost every Corner"
Honestly i gave up on good batteries.... I try and grab them now from Walmart, Autozone, or ORiley or Napa. that way like others said I can find and swap at a easily found national location. The days are long gone when you get 10+ years out of yellow tops etc. I had great luck with Duralast Golds and will probably get them again since their are like 4 autozones within 50 miles of me.
Justin I believe the same as you and Jack . Unless a person just has to have certain Name or price point ( which is perfectly fine) I think for the Price, Warranty and convenience of replacement if it becomes necessary Looks like Everlast Maxx are what I am going with. Napa legend75s 65/750 are 134.65 ea 24.89 off list The kicker is the warranty stated is 18 months replacement. East Penn parent company of Dekka used to make a really good product. Here Convenience of replacement should be necessary Napa stores here are closed on Sundays and most close at 5pm.
Thanks to everyone for the help . Off to Walmart I go!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts