Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in desperate need of a new air intake.

which AFE setup is the best performance wise?

And I know the S&B is well respected but I hear the turbo whistle is better out of the AFE...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
afe stage 2 with pg7 hands down no questions asked boom.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
LOL....you dont short cut stuff with a $60K truck.......

I have the AFE 7 layer and am happy with mine....does what an intake should do.....looks good, and does allow me to hear the turbos a bit more so than my cousins truck with the S&B.

The important thing is when cleaning these, and oiling them....dont use too much oil....enough to make sure the air is filtered well, gut not too much so that it gets on the MAF sensor, nothing new to me as I have been running oiled filters in everything I own that has an engine for the last 12-15 years.

·
Registered
162 Posts
How is the AFE dry filter compared to the AFE Pro Guard 7 filter? I am also in the same boat as bigcountry and would like to order an intake as soon as I can make my mind up on which one. The dry sounds a lot easier to maintain, but would only be considered if the filtration quality is as good as a Pro Guard 7.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Personally I would think that the ProGuard 7 filters the best, and thats why I went that route....cleaning and oiling is not an issue to me....I already clean and oil filters on all my ATV's Rhinos...bikes...other vehicles..

·
Registered
162 Posts
I also have my motocross bikes that I have to clean filters for, it's not a big deal to me either. But filtration-wise has the dry filter technology caught up or surpassed the oiled technology yet? I'm sure somebody has ran a test comparing the two. I wonder what AFE would have to say on the subject.

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,740 Posts
Not trying to short cut anything, tryin to save some cash where I can, guess if I could afford a $60,000 truck, I wouldnt be concerend with saving money either. Then again, $60,000 truck, I wouldnt have any cash left to worry about mods or even putting fuel in it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i got an afe proguard 7 on my truck and you can def hear the turbos a lot better. way more noticable and you can hear them when they spool down too. sounds pretty bad especially with the dpf delete:woot:

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have the PRO DRY filter, So you dont have to worry about oiling it too much or anything like that, just slap in and roll. If you get the torque tube it also comes with a pre filter to catch some of the other stuff and NO CEL!!:woot:

·
Registered
27 Posts
the only prob i had with the afe is when the engine went into regen it kicked the cel on and threw codes. so i had to take it off and i put it back on now that i got no regen and got no problems so far.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have the PRO DRY filter, So you dont have to worry about oiling it too much or anything like that, just slap in and roll. If you get the torque tube it also comes with a pre filter to catch some of the other stuff and NO CEL!!:woot:
Did the prefilter stop the check engine light?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts