Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, bout to do the bed on my truck with roll on herculiner. Wondering who's dont it? How'd it turn out? Any suggestions?

Any info. you guys have on the subject would be appreciated!

Also, I am starting with the bed to learn so I can do the botton half of the body! Will take any suggestions anyone has on that also!

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
I did it on one of my old trucks worked pretty good. My advice would be to do two or 3 coats though. Tanks250 did his rocker panels with it. I may be doin that shortly

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Autozone, tactor supply, ace hardware! Those places for sure, if you google it and go to the website it will show you all the places that carry it!

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
The only suggestion I have is prep prep prep and more prep. The better then prep job the better the results.

I used a sander with 400 grit paper. I sanded the whole inside of my bed. Then I degreased with dx220 which can be bought at any autobody paint supply store. Then I masked off the areas I didn't want to coat. Then I rolled the bed and bed rails. I put on 5 coats of it. Never did it chip, flake, or anything like that also it never faded either.

I did this to my 95 F-150 I had. I am going to do it again to my CJ-7 project the whole interior is going to get done.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Walmart also carries it as well.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
carries what dx220? or herculiner? The one by me doesnt carry herculiner or are you talkin about a diff. brand? Is it all the same?

The walmart stuff was 1/2 the price of hercliner!

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
carries what dx220? or herculiner? The one by me doesnt carry herculiner or are you talkin about a diff. brand? Is it all the same?

The walmart stuff was 1/2 the price of hercliner!
Walmart has Dupount Duraliner, basically the same as hercaliner but cheaper and just as good.

For the dx220 you will have to go to a autobody supply store.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the duraliner what you used?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Is the duraliner what you used?
Yeah because it was cheaper. Poor guy out of the military with no job living on unemployment at the time. So I used the cheap stuff worked great lasted longer then the truck.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha, good yo know! I think I'll return the herculiner then! ha

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just like everyone is saying, you've got to prep real good. I saw Tank's truck and copied his idea and used the Herculiner on my rocker panels. It turned out good. I used 2 coats, but should've at least added one more. I'm happy with it overall and it did give the truck a different look.

Chris

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just like everyone is saying, you've got to prep real good. I saw Tank's truck and copied his idea and used the Herculiner on my rocker panels. It turned out good. I used 2 coats, but should've at least added one more. I'm happy with it overall and it did give the truck a different look.

Chris
Does that Arizona sun have any effect on the herculiner?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I did mine about 2 months or so ago, and it still looks good considering I live in Yuma, AZ. When I wash the truck, I'll usually put a little tire wet spray on it to give it that extra nice shine. By the way, my avatar and sig pics are before I did this. I removed the trim pieces and used painter's tape right along where the upper edge of the trim was. I used a vibrator sander with 150 grit and sanded everything down real good, then cleaned the surface twice. I then commenced rolling on the bedliner.

Chris

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Should I hit the bare metal spots with some sandable primer first??

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bet your tan truck looks sweet two-toned with black now!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
THE ONLY COMPLAINT IS HERE IN AZ THE SUN IS HARSH AND IT FADDED AFTER A MONTH

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
I did mine about 2 months or so ago, and it still looks good considering I live in Yuma, AZ. When I wash the truck, I'll usually put a little tire wet spray on it to give it that extra nice shine.

Chris
I always tell people that Herculiner isn't a "commercial grade" bedliner like the other companies...It will start to fade....but I've had mine on for over 2 years,...and all I do is spray tire shine on it...and it completely shines like it was new.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I dont care about the fade too much... Is it as tough as a commercial grade bedliner?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts