Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a 1995 F-Super Duty, i have a intake and a 4 tb back exhaust, i just bought the bully dog 6 position 4 banks chip and had my mechanic put it in,ever since ive had problems the 6 position (high idle) doesnt work, and the truck will shut off and turn on when driving , its scary cause it happened to me on the highway in the high speed lane, any help on what could be wrong would help? :mad::eek:hnoes: should i just get rid of it?

·
Registered
372 Posts
You might pull the chip back off the computer and check to make sure your mechanic took all the silicone off the connections. If your not getting good connection it might cause the chip to fluctuate from being on to not and that would cause the truck to stall.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i had called bully dog , they said to disconnect the batterys to reset the computer then to clean the chip and ECU with rubbing alcohol then reinstall it, but this chip is messin my truck up big time it just wont run right with it in , ill try what you had said thanks

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Sounds to me like the chip was installed improperly. Like your getting a bad connection. This will cause the cut out your experincing. I suggest you remove the chip take it for a test drive. If the problem does not occur. Then you need to look at the connection of the chip and the pcm. The mechanic may have cleaned the surface to much or not enough.

If the problem occurs when your driving with the chip remove I suggest you scan for codes and have some daignostic tests done.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright , im just mad cause the truck ran perfect before i had it put in , with no problems now i cant make it down the road without it dying on me. i hope cleanin it will fix the the 6 position to, but once again i appreciate the help guys!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think the chip might be bad though, cause on the highest setting it doesnt blow any black smoke what so ever, i might call bully dog tomorow again

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Disconnect the batteries remove the pcm. Look at the connection of the pcm is there a rubbery substance coating the tabs on top and bottom. If so then you need some scotch brite and remove that coating. If not are the tabs gold or silver. If they are silver then most likely the person that installed the chip cleaned the rubber coating off to much and dug into the electrical connection. This will give you a bad connection between the chip and pcm and cause your cutting out. If they are still gold then that is not your problem.

Did you buy this chip new from Bully Dog. Is it programmed for your pcm.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Our old trucks have small injectors and will not smoke that much with just a chip.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Hey guys i have a 1995 F-Super Duty, i have a intake and a 4 tb back exhaust, i just bought the bully dog 6 position 4 banks chip and had my mechanic put it in,ever since ive had problems the 6 position (high idle) doesnt work, and the truck will shut off and turn on when driving , its scary cause it happened to me on the highway in the high speed lane, any help on what could be wrong would help? :mad::eek:hnoes: should i just get rid of it?
99% of the problems that develop after installing a chip are because of improper cleaning.

Ask your mechanic how he cleaned the pcm, and how many chips he has installed. You would be surprised that alot of them will just shove the chip on there. The OBS PCM boards are thicker than a super duty and because of that the chip will fit tighter and will sometimes make a connection thru the silicone, even though its a bad one. This will certainly cause the cutting out situation, especially if he didn't tape the chip in securely.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
yea i had alot of problems when i put my ts chip in i had to pull the pcm a couple of times before i got it right take your time and clean the contact of where the chip pluggs in just make sure the keys are in your pocket and the batteries are unplugged if the chip still malfunctions then the chip is bad but i know how you feel about the truck shutting off it happened to me the other day on the interstate lol haha

·
Registered
457 Posts
yeah i had the same problem with my truck when i installed my TW chip... i didn't clean it off good enough and it wuoldn't work, i cleaned it off a little more, like 3 or 4 tunes worked but that meant 2 weren't working, cleaned it off a LITTLE BIT MORE and now it works like a dream

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've done a few of these installs myself (including my own truck). Make sure the contacts are cleaned down to the copper. The silver coating on top of the contacts needs to be rubbed off. I personally use a small flat-head screwdriver to CAREFULLY scrape it off using a small, steady, back and forth motion on top of each contact.

One day, I had my truck die on me at a McDonalds parking lot. Turns out, that when I stepped on the parking brake, the cable for my chip knob got caught under the parking brake and pulled the chip off of the PCM just enough to short it out. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start until I plugged in a code scanner and was unable to to communicate with the PCM. On a hunch, I pulled the kick panel cover and found the chip cable to be taught. I gave it a good little pull and heard the chip pop off. Truck started right up after that! :doh:

I've since rerouted the cable and used some cable ties to keep it in place.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya the chip was bad, it messed my truck up pretty i cleaned and cleaned it like 4 or 5 times and it still ran like crap, it ending up shorting something out in my plow harness so when i went to go move the plow it wouldent go down or side to side, then along with the truck stalling costantly, and it wouldent idle for more than a min without dieing, so its goin back and im just going to get an edge evo to see if i have any luck, after it was all fixed the truck runs like a dream , like it did before the chip

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
i would ditch the idea of an edge and go with a DP or TW, thats just me though

·
Registered
457 Posts
i would ditch the idea of an edge and go with a DP or TW, thats just me though
100% agreed... truck will run better, longer, get better gas milage, run cleaner, lower EGTs, run smokier (if you get it tuned for that), be much more powerful, and shift better... all for a competitive price

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I agree! I will be modding my 95 soon and will def. be calling Tony! Not only do I think he is the best with the OBS he is local to me. JJ

1 - 19 of 19 Posts