Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 6.0 powerstroke diesel that has 160,000 miles. It has started a high pitch squeal when any amount of boost is made. When drove super easy with no boost there is no noise??? i checked my codes with my bully dog triple dog and foound p0487?? I knowit has to do with the egr but what needs to be done to fix it?? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
165 Posts
Pull it completely and delete it..... And do away with the bully dog and get a sct!!!

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
More then likely a boost or exhaust leak. Does it still seem to make good boost? The up pipes going to the turbo can crack and cause a pretty good whistle under load.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Cac boots cracked/split, exaust flex joint cracked. Not uncommon.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok for now i pulled the egr valve and cleaned it really good, it was pretty dirty. I checked the boots on the pipe on the passenger side. One was questionable so i bought and replaced it. Turbo seems to be a bit sluggish on low rpm but still makes good boost thru the range of rpm. The squeal is heard anytime the factory boost gauge moves off 0. If the truck is boosted at all you can hear the squeal but it stops as soon as boost drops to 0.
Still cant find out what the hell is making this noise.
Could it be anything with the vgt veins??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Did you inspect the bellows in the exhaust up pipes and look for any black soot? Sometimes it helps if you get someone to rev it up while looking at the pipes and see if you see any exhaust leaking out. Most times a squeal is an exhaust leak. Never really had a turbo make a squeal unless the bearings were going out, but if that was the case you should have a lot more going on the just a squeal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts