Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I tell if my alternater is out? Or is there a relay? The needle does not "pop" up to the middle of the gage. In mexico and your my only hope.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Ok.. just a little more info needed... do you have one battery, or two?

Also, do you have, can you get access to a multimeter, or a voltage tester?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MMMMMMMMMMMM...

Two bats. No volt meter. I got 155,000 as of today. Whats the life of the alt.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
I don't know what kind of auto parts stores they have in Mexico, but just about anywhere in the US you can just take your truck to any parts store and have the batteries load tested. You can also pop the alternator off and have it tested as well. That's what I usually do when I'm in the same situation you're in. If that's not an option hopefully someone will be able to help you figure it out for yourself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to see.....

My bats are good, sears die hard 2-3/4 years old out of 5. The only guy I know of that can test for codes is drunk 7 days a week. alt life?? I hear is oround 130,160,000 mi. Seems to fit. Just so happens my girl is in the states an getting on a plain to come home tomarrow so HELLO NAPA AUTA PARTS!

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
well batteries are actually only good for about 2 years. I would have your girlfriend pick up a multi meter for you. That will allow you to test the alternator and batteries.

batteries should not drop below 11 volts when cranking if they are good. Alternator should put out 14 volts. If it is putting out 12 volts or less then it is bad and needs replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts