Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 F250 XLT 190k Studded and Egr Deleted
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 06 f250 6.0 that's studded and egr deleted I was having a thermostat leak I replaced that but now when I drive about 15 to 20 miles on the freeway going around 70 mph the wrench gauge light will come on and my fan starts to get loud like a garbage truck no power lose or anything happens ,you can't really the fan until you get off the freeway but then the fan goes back to normal after 10 seconds and if I stop shut the truck off and turn it back on the wrench goes away. I don't think I'm overheating judging by the stock gauges i know they suck I'm also not leaking anything. Any thoughts will help thanks

·
Registered
04 F250 CCSB
55 Posts
Are you using anything to monitor your truck? Have you pulled the code it throws when this is happening?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you using anything to monitor your truck? Have you pulled the code it throws when this is happening?
I was but I wasn't driving it for awhile so I gave it to a buddy but I just order a edge cs2 insight hopefully this can tell me what's going on. If I don't drive on the freeway the wrench light won't come on and it won't make that loud fan noise

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
My bet is a clogged oil cooler, but the monitor will tell.

Wrench lights are service now lights vs a normal check engine light which means can wait a little longer. The wrench light shuts off and resets when powered down. This restarts a timer. A lot of these algorithms will say something similar to “myst be in excess of 25 degrees for 20 minutes” prior to the light going on. So when you shut off the truck, the problem is still there.

·
Registered
2005 F250 FX4 Lariat CCSB - EGR deleted, IPR coolant filter, figuring out what else.
195 Posts
I was but I wasn't driving it for awhile so I gave it to a buddy but I just order a edge cs2 insight hopefully this can tell me what's going on. If I don't drive on the freeway the wrench light won't come on and it won't make that loud fan noise
Glad you're going to have something more than dash gauges and idiot lights.

I use Torque Pro and OBDLink LX, and quickly learned how useless the dash gauges are, except perhaps the boost gauge.

On both my 2005 F250 PSD and my 2004 F150 gasser, the difference between 190 and 210 degrees engine coolant temp can't really be seen on the dash gauge.

Also, I believe I have read here in this forum that the oil pressure "gauge" on the dash only tells you that there is some oil pressure, but doesn't provide a quantitative indication.

Detailed monitoring can help you detect problems before they develop into larger problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you're going to have something more than dash gauges and idiot lights.

I use Torque Pro and OBDLink LX, and quickly learned how useless the dash gauges are, except perhaps the boost gauge.

On both my 2005 F250 PSD and my 2004 F150 gasser, the difference between 190 and 210 degrees engine coolant temp can't really be seen on the dash gauge.

Also, I believe I have read here in this forum that the oil pressure "gauge" on the dash only tells you that there is some oil pressure, but doesn't provide a quantitative indication.

Detailed monitoring can help you detect problems before they develop into larger problems.
They are seriously so bad I wish I still had my old monitor right now but it is what it is. What I'm really concerned about is if it is the oil cooler could that lead to a head gasket failure cause that's what I don't want. Everything on the truck is good the degas bottle isn't puking and I'm not leaking any fluids I was just about to order a sinister diesel coolant filter but then this issue started

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything is stock expect the studs and the egr delete

·
Registered
04 F250 CCSB
55 Posts
If you are looking for a coolant filter I would look into the IPR coolant filter/manifold route. I plan on getting one in the future and it is a little more expensive than the sinister one. It allows for 100% coolant filtration whereas those other filters only see some of the coolant. @MtnTallPaul just put one on his truck and could probably tell you more than I can, but it seems like he doesn’t regret his choice.

·
Registered
2005 F250 FX4 Lariat CCSB - EGR deleted, IPR coolant filter, figuring out what else.
195 Posts
Everything is stock expect the studs and the egr delete
You may or may not have much to worry about.

From what I have learned, there are different methods of "EGR delete", mostly having to do with the EGR cooler.

The "road" to head gasket failure that begins with a plugged oil cooler results in inadequate coolant flow to the EGR cooler, which is downstream from the oil cooler. Lack of proper coolant flow leads to a ruptured EGR cooler, coolant in the intake manifold, and subsequently in one or more cylinders. This tremendously increases pressure in the cylinder leading to head gasket failure. I think I have this right, but I am sure someone will correct me if I misstated something.

Now, the reason for the explanation above...

If the "EGR delete" done on your engine included removal of the EGR cooler, or disconnection of the cooler from the coolant system, then the failure mode described above isn't likely to happen on your truck.

You might be able to determine this by tracing the coolant line coming from the back of the oil cooler housing. As built, that line went to the EGR cooler on the passenger side of the engine. If the cooler has been removed or coolant has been rerouted around the cooler, the line from the oil cooler most likely runs to the underside of the intake manifold on the passenger side of the engine.

If this is the case, the "only" consequence of a plugged oil cooler is elevated oil temps. How elevated will be a function of how badly plugged the oil cooler is and how hard the engine is working.

The consensus appears to be that if you are cruising a while at 60 MPH with the engine fully warmed up and the difference between coolant and oil temperature exceeds 15 degrees, it's time for an oil cooler.

·
Registered
195 Posts
@MtnTallPaul just put one on his truck and could probably tell you more than I can, but it seems like he doesn’t regret his choice.
The IPR coolant filter is one of the more expensive ones out there, but I was happy with the build quality and completeness of the kit.

I just wish I had known about the coolant manifold that IPR sells for use with the cooler. The manifold greatly simplifies the installation, and as an added benefit greatly simplifies backflushing the oil cooler. I'll probably get one and install it the future.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The IPR coolant filter is one of the more expensive ones out there, but I was happy with the build quality and completeness of the kit.

I just wish I had known about the coolant manifold that IPR sells for use with the cooler. The manifold greatly simplifies the installation, and as an added benefit greatly simplifies backflushing the oil cooler. I'll probably get one and install it the future.
So I just drove the truck to work not taking the freeway it was a 38 min drive 21 miles the wrench light did not pop on once I'm still going to look into the oil cooler

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
If you see an excessive delta between ECT and EOT when you get a monitor, in my signature block you’ll see a flush procedure and it has a back flush in there that can bring down temps.

Besides the wrench light, a fan coming on like that points me to high oil temps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
So I just drove the truck to work not taking the freeway it was a 38 min drive 21 miles the wrench light did not pop on once I'm still going to look into the oil cooler
Get some sort of detailed engine monitoring going!

You'll be glad you did. It is great way to find out how your oil cooler is working.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Gonna own a diesel, you need to be able to get codes and monitor the system when there is a problem

These should be mandatory for any 6.0
Fuel pressure gauge -- M12x1.5 thread adapter
Base oil pressure gauge -- test port on front of oil cooler housing 9/16x18 imperial o-ring fitting

I suggest downloading ForScan and using the OBDLink MX+ or the BAFX adapter for troubleshooting
Torque Pro would be good for everyday use with an old phone or tablet
Scan Gauge is small and simple -- can be mounted in front of the instrument cluster
there are other monitors, but the price goes higher

you do not need the license for troubleshooting

Reactions: MtnTallPaul

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I have a 06 f250 6.0 that's studded and egr deleted I was having a thermostat leak I replaced that but now when I drive about 15 to 20 miles on the freeway going around 70 mph the wrench gauge light will come on and my fan starts to get loud like a garbage truck no power lose or anything happens ,you can't really the fan until you get off the freeway but then the fan goes back to normal after 10 seconds and if I stop shut the truck off and turn it back on the wrench goes away. I don't think I'm overheating judging by the stock gauges i know they suck I'm also not leaking anything. Any thoughts will help thanks
My 2005 6.0L does the same thing.
Check the error codes.
My truck produces Error Code:
P012F = Engine coolant and engine oil temperature Correlation
My understanding is that the oil is getting too HOT. I am pushing the truck too hard.
I live in Florida. It usually happens on hot days (> 100F) and I am running the truck at full throttle too much.
These Trucks are GREAT! Could use more HP!
Good luck.
I am happy with my 2005 642,000 miles and running GREAT!

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
P012F = Engine coolant and engine oil temperature Correlation -- just means there is too much difference in the coolant and oil temps -- a bad thermostat can also cause this

you need to check the readings from the temp sensors, there are 5, and see if they read the same with the engine cooled off

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the information. I appreciate the help.
I will have my diesel mechanic check the 5 temp sensors, the next time it is in the shop.
I am running a stock motor, with EGR delete.
The tool light only comes on when I am running at 20 psi turbo for extended periods of time (10 minutes or more).
I think the root problem, is that the stock truck does not have enough HP, to do what I am trying to do (usually towing on the interstate). I am pushing the motor too hard.
Thanks again for all your help.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,924 Posts
Pushing an engine hard should not throw a wrench light, stock or otherwise. That is not normal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts