Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I may have a TS6 chip burned for a manual in my auto pickup...

My pickup is a 97 eclb, 7.3 PSD, E4OD auto, 4x4. I bought it stock, added a S&B intake, 3" downpipe with a 4" Diamond Eye strait pipe, Edge Insight CTS for gauges, and a TS6 tuner with the standard tunes. I got the TS maybe 6 months/10,000 miles ago, from a guy who seemed a bit sketchy. He said the tuner was for a 97 PSD with a manual transmission, but that the computer that controls the auto would over ride it and that it would shift fine. And well, it worked for a while. Had some weird shifts here and there. Lately, it's been shifting hard when I'm anywhere past 1/4 throttle, and it has a solid 3-5 second pause where it feels like it's taking a long time shifting from 3rd to 3rd with the torque converter locked up, then it shifts fine into 4th. I put the chip to the stock setting, tranny shifts fine. I'm thinking I should get this ***** retuned for an auto... thoughts? Did I just cut my tranny life in half? haha thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh also, I checked the fluid tonight. It was full, but was a bit brown and smelled burnt. I'm going to replace it and service the transmission soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been driving it around on the stock setting, and seems to be just fine. Obviously the tuner is the issue. I contacted a local diesel performance shop to see if they can reburn it with the correct tunes.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well if it is supposedly an auto tune and not a manual trans tune, I wonder why it seems to be acting up so bad when the tuner is active.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Well if it is supposedly an auto tune and not a manual trans tune, I wonder why it seems to be acting up so bad when the tuner is active.
Tunes could still be for the wrong family, or the tunes are just bad. The best thing to do would be to send it off and get it reburnt for your code from a custom tuner (such as us). This will guarantee the tunes are correct for your vehicle.

I hear a lot of complaints about canned TS tunes. That is why we reburn these chips with our tunes daily. Most of the complaints are about the shifting (especially a very harsh shift from 3rd to OD).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts