Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new her and to Powerstrokes, but I'm not new to Fords :). I bought an '06 F350 King Ranch a few weeks ago with the Ford ESP Extended warranty. My intention is to keep it stock until the warranty is up then bullet proof it.

1. Should I have Ford install the latest FICM and PCM flashes or should some of them be avoided? My truck cycles the injectors for about 30 seconds after it has been shut off, I've heard of some later flashes that eliminate this and use inductive heating instead. It does run very rough on cold morning starts, but runs great after 3 - 5 minutes.
2. What are the pros and cons of cycling injectors vs. inductive heating.
3. Should I buy an upgraded FICM with an aftermarket program and keep my stock one as a spare and to avoid warranty issues with the dealer?
4. Would an upgrade FICM and program help with mileage?

As far as I can tell by the Oasis report nothing has ever been done to the truck by Ford other than replacing a bad ABS ring.

Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
We strongly stand behind our product here at PHP as do many others across the nation. Personally I have the ATLAS 80 installed on my 6.0l and experience substaintial gains in power and economy.

Here is some information I pulled from our webpage with will hopefully be of benefit to answering your questions.

Late 2004 saw the release of the redesigned 6.0L engine with radical changes to the cylinder heads which helped improve head gasket sealing and virtually eliminated coolant leaks. Unfortunately, this year also saw the release of Engine Control Module (ECM) and Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) updates that limited power output of the engine and severely degraded fuel economy. Also, in an effort to reduce further issues on the '03 and '04 model years, the same power limiting calibrations were loaded into any vehicle that happened to wander into a Ford dealership for service. Often, these "updates" were applied without the knowledge (or approval) of the vehicle owners. Imagine the surprise of 6.0L owners everywhere who went in for a simple oil change and lost 25-40 HP and 2-5 MPG INSTANTLY!

Most 6.0L programmers utilize changes to the ECM in order to achieve horsepower gains. However, ECM tuning is only part of the puzzle to restoring the performance and economy of the 6.0L Power Stroke. Ford's most current inductive heating strategy (which replaced the FICM damaging inductive heating strategy that was released in 2007/2008) resolves a number of cold start issues, but severely limits performance of the engine. With our standard ECONOMY FICM calibration, most customers see fuel economy gains as well as improved tip-in throttle response and better overall drivability from idle up through 3500 RPM. (We also eliminate that annoying injector post buzz.) However, we also offer fully modified FICM strategies that not only offer improvements in fuel economy, but also offer significant improvements in performance. With our new ATLAS 40, ATLAS 80, and HERCULES FICM strategies, gains of 100 HP or more can be seen, even with a stock ECM strategy. Combined with a modified ECM strategy, considerable improvements throughout the RPM range can be achieved with significant improvements in low RPM and high RPM performance.

http://www.gopowerhungry.com/_ficm.shtml

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
If your FICM is cycling the injectors at turn-off, then I would get it updated. You will get better cold starts too. However, before you spend money on a FICM flash, verify your FICM voltage is steady at 48V and the unit is not needing replacement.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I run the old PHP FICM flash WITHOUT INDUCTIVE HEATING, and a 58volt BPD FICM, my truck always starts and runs smoothly almost immediatly parked outside not plugged in in the Chicago area. Inductive heating is a band aid for other problems, Ford tried to save money on warranty repairs with a software change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We strongly stand behind our product here at PHP as do many others across the nation. Personally I have the ATLAS 80 installed on my 6.0l and experience substaintial gains in power and economy.

Here is some information I pulled from our webpage with will hopefully be of benefit to answering your questions.

Late 2004 saw the release of the redesigned 6.0L engine with radical changes to the cylinder heads which helped improve head gasket sealing and virtually eliminated coolant leaks. Unfortunately, this year also saw the release of Engine Control Module (ECM) and Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) updates that limited power output of the engine and severely degraded fuel economy. Also, in an effort to reduce further issues on the '03 and '04 model years, the same power limiting calibrations were loaded into any vehicle that happened to wander into a Ford dealership for service. Often, these "updates" were applied without the knowledge (or approval) of the vehicle owners. Imagine the surprise of 6.0L owners everywhere who went in for a simple oil change and lost 25-40 HP and 2-5 MPG INSTANTLY!

Most 6.0L programmers utilize changes to the ECM in order to achieve horsepower gains. However, ECM tuning is only part of the puzzle to restoring the performance and economy of the 6.0L Power Stroke. Ford's most current inductive heating strategy (which replaced the FICM damaging inductive heating strategy that was released in 2007/2008) resolves a number of cold start issues, but severely limits performance of the engine. With our standard ECONOMY FICM calibration, most customers see fuel economy gains as well as improved tip-in throttle response and better overall drivability from idle up through 3500 RPM. (We also eliminate that annoying injector post buzz.) However, we also offer fully modified FICM strategies that not only offer improvements in fuel economy, but also offer significant improvements in performance. With our new ATLAS 40, ATLAS 80, and HERCULES FICM strategies, gains of 100 HP or more can be seen, even with a stock ECM strategy. Combined with a modified ECM strategy, considerable improvements throughout the RPM range can be achieved with significant improvements in low RPM and high RPM performance.

Power Hungry Performance - FICM Reprogramming
Thanks for the info, I'm sending you a PM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your FICM is cycling the injectors at turn-off, then I would get it updated. You will get better cold starts too. However, before you spend money on a FICM flash, verify your FICM voltage is steady at 48V and the unit is not needing replacement.
My FICM voltage is between 48 and 48.5 volts.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Update helps a lot with cold start

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
"Inductive heating is a band aid for other problems, Ford tried to save money on warranty repairs with a software change."

Well I'm no spring chicken any more and I've been plugging in Diesel engine heaters all of my adult life which takes in about 34 years now. It's certainly not anything Ford came up with.

I plug my truck in year around. Why not?

k

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
"Inductive heating is a band aid for other problems, Ford tried to save money on warranty repairs with a software change."

Well I'm no spring chicken any more and I've been plugging in Diesel engine heaters all of my adult life which takes in about 34 years now. It's certainly not anything Ford came up with.

I plug my truck in year around. Why not?

k
I can't tell if you're joking, but inductive heating is not the same as the block heater you plug in. Year round? You're wasting at least $15/month in electricity...

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Ive got a Atlas 80 and the diffrence is huge. 3mpg gain, smooth quick start even when cold. Well worth the cash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll plug in when I know it is going to be really cold, but this time of year we have temperature swings anywhere from 35 - 65 from one night to the next.

I'm seriously considering a Gryphon CTS programmer from PHP, I think it will give me the best options considering my Ford warranty and desire to improve cold weather starts and fuel economy.

Thanks all for your input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts