Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 with 167k miles. Stock except for a 4" turbo back.

I'll try and be as descriptive as possible.

I went out to start it after the the truck had sat for a good 36 hours with 1/8 tank of fuel left in it. It started up just fine, I let it sit for about 30 seconds, and when I put it in drive and started taking off it had very little power, ran very rough, and spewed out white smoke. I got only a few feet and shut it down. It idles fine with no white smoke until I give it a little fuel.

I know the truck already had the EGR replaced sometime before I bought it in 2007, and the FICM was replaced in 2009.

Where should I start looking?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Start here...http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/showthread.php?t=236534

Need some numbers, is your coolant low, how are your batteries, fuel pressure, ficm numbers?

This could also be combustion gasses entering your fuel system.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had it towed to a diesel shop earlier today. I haven't heard from them yet, but I'm guessing its a blown EGR cooler. If it is, does/should the oil cooler get replaced as well? What's the average rate for a job like that (parts plus labor)?

I've actually been trying to sell the truck, and sure enough this had to happen. Is there a cheaper way to get this taken care of?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I had it towed to a diesel shop earlier today. I haven't heard from them yet, but I'm guessing its a blown EGR cooler. If it is, does/should the oil cooler get replaced as well? What's the average rate for a job like that (parts plus labor)?

I've actually been trying to sell the truck, and sure enough this had to happen. Is there a cheaper way to get this taken care of?
The oil cooler should be replaced if the egr is busted, not sure of the rates, cheaper would be to diagnose and repair yourself. You can get the parts from tousley ford cheap.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
EGR delete kit and Oil cooler. Most of what you need to pay for is labor. If you can do the work yourself, it won't be all that expensive to fix if it's the EGR.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I could do the work myself, but I can't.

This is causing me so much stress I feel like I'm about to break down myself.:mad: I was let go from my job a couple months ago and and haven't been able to find work yet. I just started trying to sell the truck, and now it has to do this on me. This repair bill is going to cost everything I have left. If any mechanic in the Twin Cities area is reading this and wants to help, I'm desperate.

Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boy did I jump the gun there. It was just a bad EGR valve. Now I feel stupid. I could have just cleaned it myself. :tard:

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Boy did I jump the gun there. It was just a bad EGR valve. Now I feel stupid. I could have just cleaned it myself. :tard:
Bad egr causing white smoke is news to me?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts