Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Ford F250 with a 6.0L diesel. I was driving home from camping when I noticed the check gauge light came on and i looked and the temp gauge was pegged. So I pulled over and shut it off. My wife was behind me and she said there was white smoke coming out. I looke and the overflow tank was empty so I put in a ton of water and then tried to start it and it just clicked. Then I noticed that there was water driping out of the muffler. What do you think could be wrong? I read somewher it might be a ruptured EGR cooler??? Thank you guys for the help!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
EGR cooler or head gasket. If it hydrolocked and to many attempts were made to start the engine, Both could be blown. Pull the glow plugs and crank it to blow out the water. You all need to find and fix the cause of the steam then a turbo cleaning may be in your future too, as this is a great way to rust up the unison ring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I pulled the engine apart this weekend and pulled out the EGR cooler. I poured some water in the small water lines that go to it and water just poured out the exhaust end. So ruptured EGR cooler. What else do I need to check while I have it apart. I've heard I need to look at the oil cooler to see if its clogged?

I also pulled out the injectors and the glow plugs so I could turn the motor over to get the water out of the cylinders. I haven't tried to turn it over yet. Do you think this will work. When it first broke down I bumped the key and it wouldn't turn over.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
If your EGR cooler failed, it was because of the plugged up oil cooler. The coolant passages in the oil cooler become plugged up with junk over time, slowing the coolant flow. Slower moving coolant in the egr cooler is what caused the egr cooler to fail.
Replace both.
Check out the link in my signature line for the step-by-step with torque values, part upgrade suggestions, part numbers and a few tips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I replaced the oil cooler and put in a egr delete. I also cleaned the turbo while I had it out. I pulled the injectors and turned the motor over and it turned over fine. I put the hole thing back together and now the truck wont start. I checked all my conections and I've got everything plugged back in and tight. What could be wrong??

·
Registered
495 Posts
How long did you try to start it? If you replaced the oil cooler it can take a little bit to build up oil pressure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man I had to crank on it forever but it finally started. Its blowing white smoke out of it. Is this normal? How long should it do this?

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Cat full of coolant?
That is what I am thinking as well. Could also have some residual in the muffler. If that is all it is, it should burn off in just a short while.
OP: Keep an eye on your coolant level. If the truck pukes coolant, has unexplained coolant loss or there are bubbles coming from one of the coolant return lines, that would be the bad news of a popped head gasket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts