Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so back story is I just bought the truck and I don’t know much about it. The lady I bought it from didn’t know much either. I got it home threw some good spare batteries in it and got it too fire up and I heard this knocking. Sounds like a spun bearing to me but I wanted to get opinions from you guys who are a little more knowledgeable than I.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get a good scan tool on it (like ForScan) and check for codes.
Bismic, there’s no CEL when truck fires. I have a SCT X4 in my daily that I could pull out and try to pull codes with. Do you think that’ll suffice?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a good scan tool on it (like ForScan) and check for codes.
These are the codes:
P0403
P0405
P0672
P0678

These are the only 2 I would think is cause for concern, crank and cam sensors.
P2614
P2617

Communication Device Portable communications device Gadget Font Mobile device
Communication Device Portable communications device Gadget Font Mobile device

309 Posts
Hopefully the new buy proves to be an asset.
Try a stethoscope and probe around see if you can pinpoint the noise. That sure seemed to help me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully the new buy proves to be an asset.
Try a stethoscope and probe around see if you can pinpoint the noise. That sure seemed to help me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll definitely try that I have another engine I could just throw in but if this one is savable I’d like to try and save it!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Time to pull the engine -- tear it down and see if it is worth fixing

You may find something simple like a broken flex plate -- that would be great and easy

tho, it may indeed be a rod bearing or something on top of a piston

·
Registered
96 Posts
let it run for a minute, pull dipstick and see if the oil is shinny. Or drain the oil and see. Run a magnet in it and see if it pulls anything. If the oil is good, then look at external parts, like flexplate.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
The first thing I would do is to use the starter connector on the passenger firewall to the positive battery post and record how it sounds so we can hear it better. It may be it has a bent pushrod or broken rocker; both can be fixed without taking the engine apart. It's worth a shot before yanking a motor.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Time to pull the engine -- tear it down and see if it is worth fixing

You may find something simple like a broken flex plate -- that would be great and easy

tho, it may indeed be a rod bearing or something on top of a piston
Agreed! Oil is full of glitter

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The first thing I would do is to use the starter connector on the passenger firewall to the positive battery post and record how it sounds so we can hear it better. It may be it has a bent pushrod or broken rocker; both can be fixed without taking the engine apart. It's worth a shot before yanking a motor.
Even if the oil is full of glitter?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
let it run for a minute, pull dipstick and see if the oil is shinny. Or drain the oil and see. Run a magnet in it and see if it pulls anything. If the oil is good, then look at external parts, like flexplate.
Did run it, flashed low oil pressure on dash not much metal on dipstick but I pulled the filter and it’s full of glitter… tried magnet (small fridge magnet, pulled nothing).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Not that it matters, just a fun thing -- use a neo magnet and pass it close over the oil surface in the drain pan -- watch if the particles try to follow the magnet or not -- follow= ferrous -- no follow = aluminum

Reactions: 6OhNoob

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not that it matters, just a fun thing -- use a neo magnet and pass it close over the oil surface in the drain pan -- watch if the particles try to follow the magnet or not -- follow= ferrous -- no follow = aluminum
Rookie question what would be which lol

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Gonna have to explain your question a little more, like what are you asking about?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gonna have to explain your question a little more, like what are you asking about?
If it’s aluminum what would it be vs if it was ferrous what would that be.

just so I know what ALL I need to be checkingas I break it down. I will be checking everything but just wanted to know what I should make double sure to check in fine detail.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
AL would be pistons or HPOP most likely
FE would be crank, cam, that type of damage

Neither of those can be fixed without a tear down , except the HPOP, but that is unlikely
with that much metal, I don't think you will have a hard time recognizing the failure

Reactions: JustinOOO9

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AL would be pistons or HPOP most likely
FE would be crank, cam, that type of damage

Neither of those can be fixed without a tear down , except the HPOP, but that is unlikely
with that much metal, I don't think you will have a hard time recognizing the failure
Agreed I don’t think it’ll be hidden …

1 - 20 of 31 Posts