Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so here is the problem

Truck was running fine all day, nothing seemed wrong drove it all of 60 miles today for work and no problems. I was going to be driving up to wisconsin tonight so I stopped to get diesel after work. I filled up and went to start the truck and all it did was crank. It will not start but it does crank. Im guessing its a fuel issue, I checked the fuel and diesel was definitely in the pump, they didnt screw up and put gas in the diesel pump. Everything else seems to look fine but it will not start. I just got it towed back to my house and have no idea what is going on

PLEASE HELP!

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
have you check to see if you are getting decent fuel pressure?

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
ok, just to make sure. check oil level in your hpop. mine wouldnt start one time and it was because the hpop was low.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
there is a plug on top of the hpop. take that out. oil level should be within 3/4 inch of top.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
CPS? are you getting a wait to start light?

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks, one more question and I am going to sound like a total newb here, but where exactly is the hpop located?

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Im getting a wait to start light, would I not be getting that if it is the CPS

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
ok, hpop is located in front of of fuel filter housing, to the right of your alternator. and while it is cranking does the rpm gauge jump around?

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks I know that was a dumb question

Also the tach doesnt jump at all so I dont think its the CPS

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
no prob. the only dumb question is the one not asked man

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
Thanks I know that was a dumb question

Also the tach doesnt jump at all so I dont think its the CPS
the tach doesnt jump? this means your cps is bad. it should jump if cps is working

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh sorry my bad I typed that wrong, yeah it doesnt jump at all, so can they just go out like that just suddenly

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
all the time, with out notice. usually just die while going down the road. i keep a spare in my glovebox at all times because it is a common problem.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
yes 10mm socket, 1/4 inch rachet, small extension. i also keep that setup in my glovebox at all times cuz you never know when they will go out. i suggest when you go get one, buy two. cuz it will happen again. they are around thirty dollars from ford if i remember correctly

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks a lot man I really appreciate all the help, one last question where exactly is the CPS located

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
it is located underneath the water pump pulley. if you can look in the 7.3 tech files there is a write up on it with pictures. tells how to remove and install. let me know if you have any other questions. i'll keep checkin in. sounds like for sure it is your cps. pretty easy and inexpensive fix. but if not, let us know man.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts