Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i was heping my brother move and we parked the truck and turned it off. went to turn it back on and it would crank but wouldnt start at all. it ran perfectly fine fine before that. BUT he sprayed starter fluid in the intake and it started right up??? once its started it runs perfectly fine 100%, it just wont start. we also found out that if you let the truck sit for atleast an hour after its cooled down a bit, it will start on its own with outstarter fluid. i have the sct on it so i put it back to stock to see if that was the issue and it didnt change anything. looked at the codes and the only one i have other then the software incompatibility code for the tuner is a P0611- ficm failure. please tell me i dont have to replace my ficm........i dont have the money

·
Banned
71 Posts
!

What year is it? Sounds like you have the start of a hpop oil leak. If its an '04.5 and up its probably the quick connect on the hpop.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think its that, I had the hpop replaced shortly after I bought the truck.the quick disconnect thing shot off the pump and cracked the plate that's on the back of the motor. So they replaced the hpop and all. I guess the newer ones have threads instead of a quick connect

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hpop was replaced a while after I bought the truck. The quick connect thing shot off and cracked the plate on the back of the motor so it was replaced with a newer one that is threaded in instead on the q connect.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I don't really have any tech help to lend to your situation but, I'm sure you may know this, be VERY careful using Starting fluid on these trucks due to the glow plug systems potentially pre-igniting the ether and damaging glow plugs or engine!

Hope you get her fixed man! Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
I will chime in to say NEVER EVER use starting fluid on a Powerstroke. If you must use a "temporary alternative fuel source" to fire up the engine, use Brake Parts Cleaner, it is far less volatile than starting fluid. Use in moderation of course, so that the engine doesn't run away on you.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow I didn't know starter fluid was bad for it. What I did is take the air filter sensor thing and spray it in there about a half second spray. So the Oil block off plugs may be the prob? Just curious as to why you'd say this and why do you think that would be the prob? The p0611 code is the only code I have other then the p1000 code cuz I disconnected the batteries. Doesn't that mean I just need to replace the ficm or can it be something else?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The p0611 is a ficm code, replace the ficm asap. Remember, if you put brake clean or ether in the air filter it still has to go through the intercooler, before it gets into the engine. And having glow plugs at 1000 degrees when the ether gets there causes detonation. But i would address the ficm code before anything.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
damn... well thats money i dont have... so if i buy a brand new ficm its not programmed and needs to be flashed? if i get a used one does it still need to be flashed and if so does anyone know how much the dealer charges?

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
P0611 is a FICM failure code that sets when the PCM detects FICM_M decrease to less than 45 volts. If this happens, the FICM needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so should i talk it to the dealer just to be sure thats what it is or just go ahead and replace the ficm?

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
How many block off plugs are there per side?I am having the same problem with my 06
One per side. Like already mentioned, the part number from Ford is -W302195 for dirt cheap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts