Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went down to thrusday night lights at our local drag strip. i was driving to my buddies and the dash lights come on(parking brake, air bag, abs, traction control, battery, wrench light) the vgt turbo is off(cant hear any whistle, sounds like a smoke switch) it smoking like crazy. cleared the code it restarted and was fine. parked it with my buddies. no start once again doing the same thing. this time my h&s mini maxx was not communicating with my truck to clear the codes.

im lost, texted a friend of mine who works at ford and he said some times the trailer brake fault is from one of the wires rubbing the frame and shorting out or something.

this is the code it was throwing a month or so ago doing the exact same thing
U0073 Control Module Communication Bus A Off

the theft light is flashing and I cant get the H&S to connect to the computer to pull the code right now but im pretty sure its the same code again because its the same issue. Im gonna leave the batteries disconnected over night and see what happens.

i dont know what to do, back to stock and try to get it fixed by the dealer? anyone got any ideas before i go through putting it back to stock

thanks for your help, sorry if my post is long winded but im just flipping out and apparently my truck is too. :dunno:

·
Registered
872 Posts
sounds like your batteries are toast... get them tested... are they original batteries?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, the truck is a little under 3 years old, would they be dead already. The starter still turns over really fast compared to my 6.0.

·
Registered
872 Posts
a few months ago i had some electrical issues with my trailer brake stuff.. turned out my batteries were going bad. i still get the "Trailer Brake Module Fault" everytime i start the truck.. its annoying, but the system works as it should.. all fuses are good.. i have to hit the reset button to clear it everytime i get in the truck.. livewire doesn't pull the code or clear it.. so i dunno. i would still get them tested out.. you never know.. you could have been over charging them all this time and not known it, and now they're toast?? just trying to throw out ideas here.. i'm no mechanic or electrical mechanic lol

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a few months ago i had some electrical issues with my trailer brake stuff.. turned out my batteries were going bad. i still get the "Trailer Brake Module Fault" everytime i start the truck.. its annoying, but the system works as it should.. all fuses are good.. i have to hit the reset button to clear it everytime i get in the truck.. livewire doesn't pull the code or clear it.. so i dunno. i would still get them tested out.. you never know.. you could have been over charging them all this time and not known it, and now they're toast?? just trying to throw out ideas here.. i'm no mechanic or electrical mechanic lol
thanks man i appreciate the help and all ideas are welcome. i was supposed to pick up a shipment of septic motors tomorrow from a ways north and i dont think i want to take the truck.

i did find this thread, someone getting the same code and it is the hdmi or obdII block shorting out causing loss in communication. Im gonna give h&s a call tomorrow and see if my hdmi cable got pinched or something. hopefully thats it. still combing the forums.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-.../265304-updated-mini-maxx-wont-turn-over.html

·
Registered
872 Posts
no problem.. does the mini maxx have to be plugged in all the time??? or can you tune the truck, unplug it and put it in the center console? my livewire is like that, i can just tune it and throw it in the glovebox.. if i'm just driving around town.. i usually dont need to monitor all the stuff.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's my next test. What I have read is the wire is shorting it out from being pinched so I'm gonna clear the code, then unplug it. Then start it. So the cord doesn't have a chance to mess the computer up. Im gonna give h&s a call tomorrow early and see what they think but I'm gonna try this tomorrow. I'm praying for an easy fix

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
couldnt sleep last night, woke up before work and hooked the batteries up. cleared the codes, the U0073 and this time i got a turbo code which im thinking is from driving it home without power to the vgt turbo. as soon as it cleared them i unplugged the mini maxx from the obdII. cranked the truck up and let it idle for a bit. If it throws the codes it usually happens right after you start it and then if you turn it off it wont restart. After about 10 min, still no codes :eek:hnoes: took it for a little drive, got on it once on the way home. all is well. im not taking it for the hour drive but when i get back i will use it around town after lunch. i will post back to let ya know for sure.

·
Registered
872 Posts
sounds like you got it figured out.. knock on wood, i haven't had any issues with my cable on my livewire going into the OBD2 port.. let me know if that was the issue.

·
Registered
632 Posts
When my batteries took a crap after 3 years, my truck did some weird stuff electrically. Test your batteries is my first guess.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FIXED, it was the wire. Called H&S right as they opened. i explained everything that has been happening and he said right away its a problem with the obdII block and/or hdmi cable. they sent out new ones today, great customer service H&S!!!!!!

****one thing he did say is dont plug the tuner in any more until the new parts arrive. since its screwing with the computer so bad, he said he has actually had it mess up the pcm or ecm(i didnt hear it clearly) when left like this. as of now truck is running great like always, just no tuner plugged in.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Good to hear!!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bumping this up

well it did it again. truck ran fine for 2 months with the new cable. Now it did it again. this time i cleared the code, unplugged the mini maxx. let it run at idle for a minute while i was still on the phone with H&S and then it did it again. then it started this small lope deal. Still the same U0073 code showing up. they told me to find another code reader and clear it with a different device to see if its still the mini maxx or if the truck is doing it itself now. they are saying it could be a wire in the OBDII grounding out????? and to call them back after i clear the code. was taking the truck on a trip this weekend to go quading but i guess not. well i guess i will keep you guys posted....... :(

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just posting to let any one with future issues having the same problem. Ending up grtting it towed to ford after having no luck with figuring it out my self. Ford called today and said they found a short in the brake control module. Parts are ordered and hopefully that does it.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wanna post to finish this thread out. It was a short in the brake control module, hence all the trailer brake fault and check brake system messages. Ford found the issue and took care of it under warranty. If anyone else has issues like this, shoot me a pm!

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Good to Hear , Its always something , but puts a smile on your face when it turns out to work in your advantage !!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well it was a long road to recovery lol. been dealing with this for 3 months and after the truck being at ford for 2 weeks i was glad to have it back and running again. maybe i can trust it to leave town now lol. Before i never knew when it was gonna do it so i didnt want to take it far. All i know is it is a turd with the dpf on there lol. its amazing how spoiled we are with all this power so easily on the 6.4, going back to stock is almost like running on half the engine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts