Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I drove all the way from michigan to help my girlfriend move back. The truck ran great for the first 1200 miles but then all of a sudden after I stopped for fuel the truck seemed to be struggling and have no power what so ever also the EGTs were smoking high!! again i am in arizona and was driving though new mexico so the elevation was higher, which i thought would be a problem for high EGTs. I then stopped and got some diesel clean and that helped out alot! The power came back but when I finally made it 200 miles away from tempe az while driving though the mountains again no power and very high EGTs. But also looking in my mirrors i see my truck just pouring white smoke underload (non at idle), along with maybe a little black which is normal cuz of my chip.. but the white smoke was over taking the black smoke by a ton. So I babied it 200 miles and finally made it! Truck does idle fine and start up fine maybe take a little longer than it did before but it starts.

Symptoms:
1.High EGTs
2.White smoke
3.No power (sometimes)
4. before it seemed to build boost very quick now it just seems like it lagging ALOT!!
4.When stopping at a stop light the egts wouldnt drop to below 450-500. usually they drop to 350 after 20 seconds at idle. But again they could of stayed high cuz of the 110 degree weather driving?

Fuel filter? Bad Fuel? To much diesel clean? Turbo?

I did pull the intake off and feel for play in the turbo shaft and didnt feel any play. I replaced the fuel filter also which it seemd to clear up the white smoke but not all of it. Still getting higher EGTs

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
How high are the egt's getting?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
like 1000* at like 70. driving though texas egts at 70 were 600*. New mexico avg. 950*-1000* but had them to 1200 or a little more for a couple seconds. but when i added the diesel clean and my power came back it was like 800*-850* at 80.

also when it starting running bad with no power it was getting just terrible gas mileage

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about white smoke? I could see altitude doing somethign with no power but white smoke?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
White smoke could be raw unburnt fuel or coolant.

Havent lost any coolant in 500 miles.

One thing i noticed is the fan is noticeably louder when i accelerate from a stop. Thats only here in arizona

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I had a injector go out and dump white smoke once.

Anyway have you checked your fluids and drained the water separator?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Havent lost any coolant in 500 miles.

One thing i noticed is the fan is noticeably louder when i accelerate from a stop. Thats only here in arizona
Have your coolant temps gotten hot?

·
Registered
557 Posts
What part of AZ are you in if your up north my moms aircraft mechanic is a Diesel tech as well he may be able to help you out!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What part of AZ are you in if your up north my moms aircraft mechanic is a Diesel tech as well he may be able to help you out!!

tempe az

no coolant temp is fine.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Im leaning toward injector failure.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I was hoping you were up north by flagstaff he would have helped you out in a heartbeat Im sure!! If you can get ahold of Toddy I beleave he is down there he is a TN powerstroke member and a really good guy he is in PHX!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i need HELP ASAP!! like by tomorrow!!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Almost sounds like the way they act when you put some gasoline in them. Pull the filter and see if you can smell any traces of gasoline. JJ

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm thats possible the diesel got mixed at one of the crappy gas stations I went to on the way.

I have a feeling its injector though for some reason. But wouldnt a bad injector cause more than just no power? wouldnt it run like **** all around. like jumpy idle and stuff?

·
Registered
312 Posts
If it was injector failure with white smoke, wouldn't it hydro-lock at some point? Or is that only if it gets stuck open?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no a clue. and i dont also see how i could be an injector cuz the truck idles without a miss. tomorrow morning im gunna take if for another drive with new fuel and a new fuel filter to see if it fixes my problem. If not im taking it to a shop.. i have no other choice cuz i need it fixed by wednesday.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
hmm thats possible the diesel got mixed at one of the crappy gas stations I went to on the way.

I have a feeling its injector though for some reason. But wouldnt a bad injector cause more than just no power? wouldnt it run like **** all around. like jumpy idle and stuff?
Mine wasnt jumpy. It just pulled like a honda and smoked like a steam engine when my injector failed.

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
Im gonna bet that its contaminated fuel. This is based on 2 things:
1. First and foremost, it started acting up immediately after refueling
2. Diesel Kleen helped make it run better which would mean it was fuel related issue, not a mechanical issue.

I would give the station you refilled at a call and speak with a manager to see if there have been any other reports of issues. What I would try is warming up the the truck and draining the fuel bowl via the water seperator butterfly valve and refill with clean fresh diesel. Then restart the truck and immediately take it for a drive, if it drives normal at first and progressively returns to your current running condition, you know you have to drain the tank. Remember that the fresh diesel will start being diluted as soon as you turn on the key. Good luck, Im in Tucson otherwise I would give you a hand. If you run out of options, let me know, I have a couple buddies up in Phoenix that might be able to assist.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts