Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the weather is cold the truck runs bad for mayb the first 5 miles or so is it normal its an 07. I dont plug it in and I do let it warm up it just seem to jerk bad if I get on it unless it hit tow then it smooths out after it warms up it runs great. thanks guys

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
the weather is cold the truck runs bad for maybe the first 5 miles or so is it normal its an 07.
It is not normal, but many experience the same issues. You should let it idle for a few minutes before you drive away more to allow thermal stabilzation and for the stiction to free up. Long idling will not help and will actually create more problems. If you can, plug it in if the temperature is lower than 15*F (some would say <30*F), especially with the stiction issues you are seeing. I don't know what oil you are running, but 0w40 or 5w40 synthetic can help. Archoil or Rev X might help, but it usually is an expensive short-term fix.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Running rotella 15 40 so u think plugging it in would help? And is this something that is gonna damage my truck it runs and jerks bad. bacK try lettin ot warm up about 5 mins or so should I let it run longer

1,627 Posts
Pour out the 15-40 get some quality 5-40 synthetic diesel oil (rotella t6, valvoline premium extreme blue, mobil 1 TDT oil) a ford oil filter and she will run better...plus u have to let her warm up...at least a few minutes...diesels don't like the cold never mind being run when cold

·
Registered
99 Posts
i agree with all the above. I have used rev x and that helped too. mine got really bad a few weeks ago and so after 6 new injectors, fuel pressure regulator rebuild she is running like new.

·
Registered
118 Posts
just for kicks unplug the icp sensor then start it up. if it runs smoother then replace the sensor. mine was doing pretty much the same and after checking everything i could think of i unplugged the sensor and it ran great. it doesn't hurt anything. the truck will go back to a default setting. if you change the sensor it will crank a little longer to start because of air in the sensor but as soon as you drive it a few miles that will go away.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
Letting it idle more than 5 minutes is not desirable. It will never truly warm up at idle anyhow. Since you are running 15w40, that is part of your problem with the cold start issues. Don't wait, change your oil to a 5w40 synthetic. If you still have as big a problem, you have some work to consider.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I just switched from Rotella 15-40 to the T6 5-40 and it helps with the cold starts. Plug it in also, it's easy and gets it up to about 110*, saves time and money IMO.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts