Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1999 ford f250 xlt and it has been snowing here in nj so i used the 4x4 which works great but the 4x4 light in the dash does not go off when i take it out of 4wheel, its a 6 spd manual with manual 4wd engagement

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Regardless of the light, does the 4WD actually disengage when you turn it off?

Not text book, but I'd put it in 2WD, crank the wheel hard over one direction and go forward a little and see if you can't break it out of 4WD.

If 4WD is off, but the light remains, it's just a switch issue in the Xfer case. If not, it's internal.

·
Winning DUHHH
2,389 Posts
roll backwards and forewards a few times....The switch may just be stuck...since its cold. Happened to me before, told me i was in 4lo...but i knew i wasnt, i was doing over .3 mph

·
Registered
298 Posts
Try putting it in neutral and putting it into 4 low, then to 2wd while still in neutral. That might kick it over.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Regardless of the light, does the 4WD actually disengage when you turn it off?

Not text book, but I'd put it in 2WD, crank the wheel hard over one direction and go forward a little and see if you can't break it out of 4WD.

If 4WD is off, but the light remains, it's just a switch issue in the Xfer case. If not, it's internal.
Well i just tried it after work and i left my hubs locked to see if it would catch all 4 wheels and i spun out but the light is still on maybe its just stuck on in the dash but im in 2 wheel im not sure if its serious or not cause it all works but the manual says if im not in 4x4 and the light is on it might need servicing, do i waste my time or wait to see if it goes off

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks a lot guys i did this and its back off
You are very welcome. Glad I could help. What part of New Jersey you from, I grew up in Point Pleasant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.