Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Real quick- On my 02, the factory rims are 16x7.5 or 8(not real sure about the width) with 4 1/2" backspacing. If I put a wheel on that is 17x9 with 5" backspacing, which way is the wheel gonna go- Closer up under the truck or pushed out a little farther? Thanks!

·
Lifetime Premium Member
6,100 Posts
Closer...........

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That aint the answer i was lookin for. lol. I rubbed the leafs with 35s on stock rims. If i put this rim on and it is even further under the truck, its gonna rub that much more. Correct?

·
OperationSmile.org
2,011 Posts
No. It will be about the same. Im stuck at work. Ill pm you my number so you can call me tomorrow about these.

·
Lifetime Premium Member
6,100 Posts
Shane,if you lay the face(outside)of the rim on the ground.Measure from the lip of the rim to the mounting surface where it seats against your Hub/Rotor.This will be your backspacing.

·
OperationSmile.org
2,011 Posts
Your wheels are 16x7.5 right now with 4.5 back spacing. You are adding an 1.5 in width and .5 inch in backspacing. They will stick out 1 inch further than you factory wheels

·
Lifetime Premium Member
6,100 Posts
It will not be that much of a difference,However..Mathematically speaking..it will be 1/2" closer.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Wow, one guys says 1 inch out, another says 1/2 in. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shane,if you lay the face(outside)of the rim on the ground.Measure from the lip of the rim to the mounting surface where it seats against your Hub/Rotor.This will be your backspacing.
Thanks. i am getting ready to lift 4". I ran 35s on my stock rims, but they rubbed the leafs. I couldnt push them out any cause they would have hit the bumper. Well, the lift is gonna remove the bumper problem, which will allow me to put on a rim that moves the wheel out a little more, allowing me to possibly not rub the leafs as bad. If factory is 4.5"backspacing, then Im thinking 4" bs rims might work. This will push the tire 1/2 inch farther away from the leafs. Am I looking at this the right way?

·
Lifetime Premium Member
6,100 Posts
Thanks. i am getting ready to lift 4". I ran 35s on my stock rims, but they rubbed the leafs. I couldnt push them out any cause they would have hit the bumper. Well, the lift is gonna remove the bumper problem, which will allow me to put on a rim that moves the wheel out a little more, allowing me to possibly not rub the leafs as bad. If factory is 4.5"backspacing, then Im thinking 4" bs rims might work. This will push the tire 1/2 inch farther away from the leafs. Am I looking at this the right way?
To answer your question..Yes.A 4" backspacing rim will push it further away from the leafsprings.:nod:

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your wheels are 16x7.5 right now with 4.5 back spacing. You are adding an 1.5 in width and .5 inch in backspacing. They will stick out 1 inch further than you factory wheels
I am worried more about the inside of the tire rubbing the leafs. If my factory rims rubbed the leafs with 4.5" bs, the 5" bs puts the inside of the tire that much closer to the leafs.(Thats my thinking anyway)

·
OperationSmile.org
2,011 Posts
You got it backwards.

The wheels are 9 inchs wide. Your stock wheels are 7.5 inches wide. That leaves a 1.5 inch difference in width.

Width Difference=1.5

You're factory wheels have a back spacing of 4.5 inch

The 17 inch wheels have a 5 inch back spacing

If you 16x7.5 inch wheels had a 5 inch back spacing rather than a 4.5 inch backspacing than the wheel would sit inward .5 inch more than it does now.

The 17 inch wheels are 1.5 inches wider than the stock 16s. With the .5 inch difference in back spacing and the 1.5 inch difference in width the wheels are going to stick out 1 inch further.

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whats the big deal about rubbing the leaf? It's not gonna hurt anything.
Didnt say it would hurt anything.I got sick of the rubbing with my 35s before. I dont wanna buy a rim that rubs them even more. Got tired of needing 3 football fields to turn around in.

·
OperationSmile.org
2,011 Posts
I tell you what. Ill mount one up tomorrow and take a picture so you can see the difference in them

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tell you what. Ill mount one up tomorrow and take a picture so you can see the difference in them
No Need for all that trouble. Check your PMs. I had a brainfart.:nod:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts