Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Help please. Best turbo back exhaust?

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  PGreenSVT 
#1 ·
I have an 05 6.0 that I'm trying to keep simple. I have the Atlas40 FICM and deleted my EGR, but have not yet gotten the SCT (it's on my list, probably before the exhaust). My question is this, what is the best all-around turbo back setup for exhaust? I've thought about stacks but I feel it's a little too flashy for me so I'm leaning towards the simple. I want a nice open sound, but I'm afraid of it sounding trashy. I worked with a fella that had a 6.0 with aftermarket exhaust that sounded tough at idle and normal driving, but when he romped on it.... well, an animal in mortal pain came to mind. Basically I'm wanting it to give the impression that a respectable young enthusiast is driving his maintained truck rather than a some hillbilly trying to draw attention to himself. So is 4" sufficient or to much, do I run a muffler of some type or not, does a classic exhaust sound cleaner than stacks? This is my first truck I'm actually investing time and money in, so I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too. It's my daily driver, so I'm not rigging it out for sled pulls, just a nice truck to be proud of.

#2 ·
4" turbo back single exit with a 5" tip would be my choice. I'd recommend MBRP and go with the the 409 or 304 stainless steel. Opt for the muffler and cat delete pipes. That set up will give you be most flexibility in controlling the way your exhaust sounds (can easily add or remove the cat and the MBRP muffler as desired).

#3 ·
Thank you for the response. I guess the question that arises is what benefit/drawback comes with a muffler and catalytic converter. I spent most of my a teenage years removing such things from my trucks, so how much restriction and dampening do aftermarket items inflict. Another close friend of mine (I'm in the pipeline industry, most of my friends have diesels, money, and short attention spans) has a cummins he put an open muffler on. Not sure if that's the correct terminology, but it was 4" and you could see right through it. Almost like a resonator chamber with some lining. Is that what the MBRP muffler is like? I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying learn from those who have went before me. Thank you again!

#4 ·
Also, just so I know I'm not short changing myself, are there any benefits to stacks? I come from a family of truckers, so they hold a certain appeal to me, I'm just very cautious because of how over the top (no pun intended) they can come off. My truck is completely stock in appearance outside of the useful mods, level kit and 295 M/T's. I've always wanted to do them, but I feel like that was the same kid cutting his stock mufflers into pieces. I guess I need someone to push me to one side of the fence or the other. I think it would be slightly ironic for a person with a tattoo of a peterbilt on his back (homage to my late uncle) to not get stacks in fear of being too tacky or stereotypical! Humor finds its way into all of our lives though.

#7 ·
In the end all the exhausts are the same. Some people talk about fitment issues etc, but I think it leads to who installs it. I went with a Flo-Pro and it was easy to install and sounds like the rest of them. Whats nice about Flo-Pro is that they give you those expensive band clamps for your exhaust, versus the cheap u-bolt styled clamps that suck and crimp/bend your pipe.

#8 ·
I helped Anthony with his straight piped Flow-Pro and it is a well designed and executed system. Went on exactly as it should have and almost sounds as good as my straight piped Magnaflow. :D His is single exit, I have duals.

But he is right. Straight piped they all sound the same if they are the same size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.