Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
LawDog - Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I parked my F-250 xlt crew cab 4x4 for about an hour. Before leaving I noticed a small spot on the ground. After moving the truck I inspected the spot an determined it was oil. I got under the truck and drip was found on the right side corner of the transmission were it bolts to the motor. It looked like the oil was running down to this point from a higher place. I brought my truck home and placed a piece of white cardboard under the area and it took it about two mins. to drip. The truck has 20,000 miles on it now. At first I thought the oil was coming from the oil pan but the oil looks like it running down from a higher area. I'm not a mechanic but just asking for information of possibilities before I take it to the dealer on Monday.
Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did you look on top of the engine? Maybe the turbo drain tube or something on the oil cooler would be my quess.

·
LawDog - Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil leak

I dropped the truck off this morning (Saturday). They stated they would get on it Monday. I looked around the top of the engine around the turbo and the oil cooler but I could not find anything that appeared to be leaking oil. Hope to hear more possible suggestions from you guys. The information will be helpful when talking with the service manger and the mechanic on Monday.

·
LawDog - Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys I got truck back today and no leaks at this time (knock on wood) The mechanic noted the following.

*Checked oil leak added oil dye, found cam and crank sensors leaking and CAC tube boot hot side leaking. Removed tube and replaced boots and clamps. Removed neg. battery cable and a/c compressor to access crank sensor, replaced orig. Reassembled. Removed power steering pump to access cam sensor replaced o rings and reassembled.
Check out ok.

Just wanted to let you guys know what fixed my truck.

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
ICP sensors can leak oil in the back i think.

·
LawDog - Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way what is the CAC tube boot on the hot side and where is it?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thats good to know, so if someones warranty is out, they got a place to start.:thumb:

·
4,553 Posts
the CAC is the charge air cooler boot that would probably be on the passenger side of the intercooler. I think that is the hot side, but i could be wrong. Its whatever side is coming out of the turbo. It should be a blue boot that connects the cac tubes to the intercooler.

·
Registered
750 Posts
CAC is the intercooler tube the hotside is the pass side.

·
Registered
750 Posts
My boots are black BTW

·
4,553 Posts
oh ok. I have one thats very dark blue, almost black and then the cold side is bright blue. Either way they are the big boots on the sides of the radiator

·
LawDog - Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How othen do you still get a few drips after the fix. Is it possible you might still get a few drips after the fix if all the leaking oil was not cleaned up.

·
lifetime member
1,642 Posts
How othen do you still get a few drips after the fix. Is it possible you might still get a few drips after the fix if all the leaking oil was not cleaned up.
possibly. my icp was changed a few days ago and it seemed like it took 2 days for no more small spot of oil. the tech did a good job of cleaning, but i don't think the tech can get it all. my leak was 3 quarts to 50 miles and now no leak.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Didn't the ICP move to the right valve cover on the '05 and new 6.0Ls, along with a redesigned HPOP cover and IPR? I'm watching this thread too as I seem to have a similar issue with my '06.

Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts