Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Help on new truck!

774 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  DavidPhillips 
#1 ·
My uncle has an 06 4dr long bed dually 6.0 4x4 that he hauls on a daily basis and he liked it when he first got it and he liked it because it was obviously better riding than his 1988 ford f350 2dr 4x4 7.3l non powerstroke that has over 500,000+ miles now and still runnin. But the turbo has ingested itself twice and luckily the motor was not injured. He also noticed the front tires where eating themselves too no matter how many times he got them aligned. Plus it hasnt been gettin that good of fuel mileage and he'd jus wants to get rid of it now. So he's been talkin to other guys at the pump that own various trucks like duramaxes and cummins and powerstrokes. And the same story hes been hearin is that the duramax aka the duraflop as i call it is gettin the best fuel mileage. And hes been thinkin about a duraflop for his next truck and he has always been a firm believer in the powerstroke for years but he jus canttake the 6.0 right now. And he told me if i could show him some facts that the new 6.4 can get good mileage (he get the same config too 4dr 4x4 dually) and last and be reliable he'd consider buying it because he personallt doesnt kno anyone of right now that has a 6.4. so if you could help me out because i wouldnt want my uncle goin to the "darkside" lol thanx:icon_ford:

#2 ·
Well hate to say it but yes Duramax's are getting the best fuel milage STOCK. If he doesnt mine possible voiding his warranty he can do a DPF delete and have to put a programmer and air intake on his truck and get up to that 15-20mpg. It would cost about 1500 or so to do the upgrades but it would be well worth it.

#3 ·
thats for the 6.4 right?

#4 ·
...and is there an estimate out there now for stock fuel mileage for the 6.4

#5 ·
Depending on what gearing he is wanting for the truck it would be anywhere from 12-15mpg with 4.33 gears, to 15-20 mpg with 3.73 gears. 3.73 gears are plenty to tow with, I was pulling 22k with my truck last week and getting 8.8 mpg with a 30 mph headwind.

#6 ·
Not sure where this is at but the turbo problem could be from running it cold. It could also be from not letting it cool down before turning it off. There must be a reason for the turbo problems. Find out what's going on and stay with the current truck.

I'm not convinced that any model is getting better mileage over any other model. It depends on what you have and how you use it.

If you have a truck that's heavier or bigger than the other truck it should use more fuel. If you can get by with a smaller truck then you bought the wrong truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.