Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my 6.4 a few months back when I bought a house, and now I'm looking to get into another truck, just going for something cheaper. I have read a lot of useful info on here and educated myself on the 6.0 but it's still hard as I've never owned one and I had no diesel experience at all before the 6.4.

The truck I'm looking at is an 05 King Ranch with 143k for sale at a car lot, listed for $16,500. I just don't know how I feel about not being able to talk to the owners to see what (if any) work has been done as far as any of the weak spots being fixed yet. Also, I haven't bought an Edge Insight yet to take with me to check out the temps, which seems like a necessity from what I read. I haven't seen the truck in person yet, just the pics online but the body looks to be in really good shape. However, in the picture it looks like there's a sticker with the Bullydog logo on the truck, and I've read that those programmers are transmission killers. If the price is negotiable, do you think the truck is worth a look or should I wait for something with lower mileage that I can talk to the person who owned it and find out what's been done?

My gut tells me I might be setting myself up for some costly repairs if I went into it blind, but it's a beautiful truck and I just wish Ford didn't leave us with so many problems to worry about on these trucks!! Thanks for any help/opinions.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You could start by getting the VIN and asking for an oasis report but that may or may not tell you everything about the truck's history.
Don't know much about Bullydog. Is it one of those programmers that jacks up hp without tuning the trans? If so, then yes, that can be tough on a trans. Have to drive it yourself and have a closer look (smell) of the trans fluid to see if it's been abused.
Does it have a coolant filter installed?
Somebody published a 6.0 checklist for people looking to buy a used one.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Premium members can get an oasis report here on the forums, right? That would be a good start.

What worries me is that I would miss something not knowing exactly what I'm looking for and buy a truck that needs something major like head gaskets in the near future. Sometimes it is overwhelming reading all the posts talking about the warning signs and you can get kind of lost if you don't have any experience with it. Nothing could be more frustrating than buying a truck to find out a month later you're going to have to sink thousands into motor work.

Any other helpful info for the truck search would be greatly appreciated

1 - 4 of 4 Posts