Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first noticed a slight vibration, almost like a warped rotor, under braking, but it went away and I didn't think anything more of it.

Then later I was heading to another job and it started pulling to the right, and when I would straighten the wheel, it would lightly wobble back and forth. When I stepped on the brake, it feels like it was pulling to the left.

It smells hot in the front, seems more like right side. I'm not sure if it is a stuck brake, which seems pretty rare, a bad hub, or what it is. I haven't pulled anything apart yet, will tomorrow. Just trying to get help towards the right direction if anyone has any ideas what it could be.

Any help is appreciated. I need to get this fixed and the truck back to work asap. Truck has 79k if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
674 Posts
did you pull off the tires to look at the pads

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I haven't yet. Was going to tomorrow. The rears were replaced 1500 miles ago, pads and rotors. The fronts were replaced about a year ago by the previous owner. I plan to look at them tomorrow. I figured that would explain the right pull, but the hopping still is a mystery.

·
Registered
674 Posts
are you low on ps fluid

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
right caliper is hanging up... either a bad caliper or collapsed flex hose

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No. All fluid levels are good.

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the help. I'll be sure to check them tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
jack it up step on the brake get out go see if that tires turns easy on the right front.. if its dragging or hard to turn that caliper or line is bad

now to check to see if its the caliper or the line pull the wheel and loosen the bleeder screw, if fluid shoots out and the wheel can be turned easily then the flex line is broken inside and holding pressure not letting it back in to the master cylinder .. if the pressure is released and the wheel is still hard to turn then the caliper or the sliders for the caliper are seized

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
I think that your pulsing is probably from a warped rotor due to the brakes being hot from a stuck caliper or collapsed line.

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Changed a stuck RF caliper and rotor, and both front rubber lines today.

Thanks for the quick help.

·
Banned
1,960 Posts
you say it's rare for a stuck brake.....it's actually more common than you think with the superduties. I had one of my calipers EXPLODE( don't ask me how but the pistons inside the caliper EXPLODED) one day while I was parking the truck. look into your calipers, you'll get better mileage as well when you replace them all.

Chad

·
Registered
107 Posts
i have it happen twice on me now.... The worst part is i put new rotors and calipers on mine and some retared female pulled out infront of me the next day talking on her phone looking for a garage sale or something and I almost t boned her with my fifth wheel on the back.... mashed the brakes and squeeled the trailer brakes.... warped them right away...shake like a mother now when you brake.

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can already tell a difference, it coasts a lot better. Had I know it was so common, i would have replaced the LF caliper too. At least now I'll know what it is and hopefully catch it before it gets too bad. The rears seemed pretty good a couple months ago when I replaced the pads and rotors.

·
Registered
107 Posts
if you dont put real high miles on them and go through brakes regularly... i know in illinois you are best to spray them down well with pb blaster before trying to run them back in...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts