Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this guy up a few weeks back. 2012 6.7 XLT. Came with the lift and pro comp all terrains from the dealer. My original plan was to get a stock truck and lift it myself to get the best ride possible, but I couldnt pass up this deal, and have it all covered under one warranty!

I believe its got a rough country 6" lift (dealer couldnt find paperwork on the lift). It rides like a truck for sure, what yall suggest as far as a better set of shocks than the rough country ones that come with the lift? Not looking for an ICON quality ride as im sure their springs are a factor in ride quality. Just ned a shock that absorbs the bumps a tad better and doesnt make the truck wobble to a fro when crossing rail road tracks of something of that nature.

Thanks!!

Pic in sig

·
Registered
687 Posts
You're better off saving your money up and purchasing a replacement, higher quality kit, when you can. The money you put into new shocks won't offset just how little improvement you would see.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
You're better off saving your money up and purchasing a replacement, higher quality kit, when you can. The money you put into new shocks won't offset just how little improvement you would see.
I agree.
I had a rough country lift on my truck as well when I bought it.

Ride was terrible, bad enough to throw out springs and shocks and drop brackets.
Put on ICon 7" springs actually made by Donahue Racing and Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks. Also installed Fabtech radius arms along with some rear suspension mods.
The rear spring pack I took the pack apart and installed a 3/8 shim (2-1/2x4")on top of the overload leaf to give 3" of free travel before hitting the stiff overload leaf.

The following work in my opinion resulted in the best riding F250 truck possible. It damn near rides better then my wife's Tahoe.

Good luck with it and again shocks won't save you.......

Oh yea one more mod: I drilled two 4" holes in sidewall of spare tire and poured in 400 lbs of concrete and rehung under the bed. No more empty truck bed ride.
Cheers

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
Just picked this guy up a few weeks back. 2012 6.7 XLT. Came with the lift and pro comp all terrains from the dealer. My original plan was to get a stock truck and lift it myself to get the best ride possible, but I couldnt pass up this deal, and have it all covered under one warranty!

I believe its got a rough country 6" lift (dealer couldnt find paperwork on the lift). It rides like a truck for sure, what yall suggest as far as a better set of shocks than the rough country ones that come with the lift? Not looking for an ICON quality ride as im sure their springs are a factor in ride quality. Just ned a shock that absorbs the bumps a tad better and doesnt make the truck wobble to a fro when crossing rail road tracks of something of that nature.

Thanks!!

Pic in sig
What are you running for wheels/tires/tire pressure?

The combination of poor wheel/tire/pressure choice combined with a stiffly sprung suspension will make for a rough ride regardless of shock absorber choice. The shocks can only do their job if they are allowed to move. If the springs are to stiff as well as the wheel/tire combo it is impossible for a shock to make the ride much softer.

·
Registered
687 Posts
What are you running for wheels/tires/tire pressure?

The combination of poor wheel/tire/pressure choice combined with a stiffly sprung suspension will make for a rough ride regardless of shock absorber choice. The shocks can only do their job if they are allowed to move. If the springs are to stiff as well as the wheel/tire combo it is impossible for a shock to make the ride much softer.
Agreed. Most people run their tires at the recommended psi and this is usually at a weight rating that is too high for an unloaded truck. For example, my 40" mud grapplers are recommended to be ran at 60psi for 4200lbs. This is WAY too much so I run the fronts at 45 and the rears at 40. There's a math equation involved to find out how much psi but I just used the chalk test

·
Registered
259 Posts
I agree.
I had a rough country lift on my truck as well when I bought it.

Ride was terrible, bad enough to throw out springs and shocks and drop brackets.
Put on ICon 7" springs actually made by Donahue Racing and Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks. Also installed Fabtech radius arms along with some rear suspension mods.
The rear spring pack I took the pack apart and installed a 3/8 shim (2-1/2x4")on top of the overload leaf to give 3" of free travel before hitting the stiff overload leaf.

The following work in my opinion resulted in the best riding F250 truck possible. It damn near rides better then my wife's Tahoe.

Good luck with it and again shocks won't save you.......

Oh yea one more mod: I drilled two 4" holes in sidewall of spare tire and poured in 400 lbs of concrete and rehung under the bed. No more empty truck bed ride.
Cheers
which over load leaf are you refering too? Picture?

·
Registered
77 Posts
35x12.5x20 pro comp all terrains. Running at the recommended rating of 65psi
I would air those suckers down, try running 45 in the front and 40 in the rear. That should help out a lot. If they start to wear funny adjust the pressure.

I have 37" Toyo mt's , I run mine at 42 front and 38 rear. I have 50,000 miles on them with even wear. I only air them up to max PSI when hauling or towing.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
I posted up a thread a few months back with all the pictures. How to soften the ride on your F250 truck.

This mod can be done for $5.00 and it made all the difference in the world.
My weight capacity is the same too, it sags sooner but once springs hit overload it's the same. Highly recommended.

BTW; CTS My font coils have ( Donahue Racing) painted on the coils.

I have also added two crossmember a to frame at the rear output shaft top and bottom frame rails. Also put a crossbar at radius arm hangers and strengthened transmission crossmember with diagonal bracing to stiffen up frame.

Yea I went after making my truck handle and ride better. Along with expensive soundproofing it's a really pleasant ride experience.
The frame stiffening stopped what I call the bobble from dips and rough roads. Corners better as well.
Good Luck with it. These trucks will ride very nice if your willing to do what it needs.

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Yes I understand that they say Donahoe, I was a dealer for them before Icon bought the assets, just pointing out they do not make the coils.

Sounds like your trying to get the best results for you suspension..

·
Registered
77 Posts
I posted up a thread a few months back with all the pictures. How to soften the ride on your F250 truck.

This mod can be done for $5.00 and it made all the difference in the world.
My weight capacity is the same too, it sags sooner but once springs hit overload it's the same. Highly recommended.
Can you post a link ? I did a search but could not find it.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
Can you post a link ? I did a search but could not find it.
Ok I went in my profile and found thread. I have other pics too that I never posted up if you want.
I will say it softened ride a bunch. I turn down mirror to watch my back tire and I can see it absorbing the road up and down. Never did that before like I said truck rides nearly as good as our Chevy Tahoe.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ok I went in my profile and found thread. I have other pics too that I never posted up if you want.
I will say it softened ride a bunch. I turn down mirror to watch my back tire and I can see it absorbing the road up and down. Never did that before like I said truck rides nearly as good as our Chevy Tahoe.
Yes Please I am really curious about the mod!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts