Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all,

I have a stock 2005 f250 6.0 with only about 200k miles on it. I love my truck and take good care of it.

It's starting to have some mild issues, there's a little oil leak somewhere that I can't find (1-2 drops per night from the very far front driver side) and is also dripping a few drops of coolant a night. Also it doesn't like to start when it's below 50F outside. Otherwise it's in pretty good shape.

The issue is that my wife would like me to ditch my pickup for "something more fuel efficient". I drive about 40 miles one way to work every day so, yea, I burn a lot of diesel.

I'm thinking if I put a tuner on the truck to improve the fuel economy, we can both win. I realize this will mean bulletproofing the truck, which it's probably over-due to have done anyways.

I'm looking for advice for a good tuner/tune and bulletproof combo that will do what I want, plus anything else I should do while someone has the cab off. I know the thing will never be a Prius (thank God), but if I can bump up the fuel 5mpg or more I think we'll all be satisfied.

I do use my truck to tow periodically - my in-laws have a cattle ranch so when we move beef I'll put a pretty heavy load behind it, but that's only a few times a year. It's mostly a commuter/light hauler. I'm also in California so I have to make sure I don't go too wild with the emissions.

Many thanks.
-Jordan

·
Premium Member
10,559 Posts
long story short the tuners wont be worth it for fuel economy... A tonneau cover alone will net you a solid 1-1.5mpg on the highway. A FICM tuner of all things however will SLIGHTLY help with fuel economy. But were talking .5mpg at best...

-SCTFlash makes a second to none ecm tuner but you dont want to run one without headstuds period.
-FICM tuning is easier on the truck and SIMILAR in that you can run both the ECM and a FICM tune or just one or the other as its a semi independent system
-As far as bulletproofing Bulletproof diesel is SECOND TO NONE but expensive. so look at your budget and long term plans with the truck.
*I would spend some time researching more about what the bulletproof process in volves to see if its right for your budget/truck needs.

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
Depending on where you are in California, there are some very reputable 6.0 guys. That is more important than many realize. There is a top guy in Hemet, another in Sac that I am aware of. There is also Vince at IPR in Los Angeles county

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depending on where you are in California, there are some very reputable 6.0 guys. That is more important than many realize. There is a top guy in Hemet, another in Sac that I am aware of. There is also Vince at IPR in Los Angeles county

I'm in Northern CA so Sac would be better for me.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Good morning all,

I have a stock 2005 f250 6.0 with only about 200k miles on it. I love my truck and take good care of it.

It's starting to have some mild issues, there's a little oil leak somewhere that I can't find (1-2 drops per night from the very far front driver side) and is also dripping a few drops of coolant a night. Also it doesn't like to start when it's below 50F outside. Otherwise it's in pretty good shape.

The issue is that my wife would like me to ditch my pickup for "something more fuel efficient". I drive about 40 miles one way to work every day so, yea, I burn a lot of diesel.

I'm thinking if I put a tuner on the truck to improve the fuel economy, we can both win. I realize this will mean bulletproofing the truck, which it's probably over-due to have done anyways.

I'm looking for advice for a good tuner/tune and bulletproof combo that will do what I want, plus anything else I should do while someone has the cab off. I know the thing will never be a Prius (thank God), but if I can bump up the fuel 5mpg or more I think we'll all be satisfied.

I do use my truck to tow periodically - my in-laws have a cattle ranch so when we move beef I'll put a pretty heavy load behind it, but that's only a few times a year. It's mostly a commuter/light hauler. I'm also in California so I have to make sure I don't go too wild with the emissions.

Many thanks.
-Jordan
Keep the truck, fix what you need save the money you're going to waste chasing a couple miles per gallon and buy a prius for the commute. IMHO you aren't going to do anything to a 6.0 to gain enough fuel milage to justify the money spent.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Integ46

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
10-15K I think is reasonable. Even if I bought the used car that the wife wants, I'd be out around that.
going into a rebuild with 10k will net you a solid truck.

Dont get carried away with FASS systems and crazy turbos, just a reliable build with some side money left for future repairs.

·
Registered
169 Posts
FICM atlas 40 tune and aero as in lowered, front air dam, skinny tires.

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
I'm in Northern CA so Sac would be better for me.
I will check with my buddy in Sac to get the mechanic’s info

Reactions: bismic
1 - 10 of 10 Posts