Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Gas or diesel?

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi in short I am very unsure what truck to get a diesel or gasser truck.

Here is my situation I have owned 6 diesel trucks in the past all Cummins older trucks high mileage. I do not tow I just love diesel trucks
right now I will be heading to college this will be a daily driven commuter and I have about 15k to buy a newer truck.

so is the smart choice to buy a f-150 gas truck and not buy my dream 6.0 diesel ?

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Hi in short I am very unsure what truck to get a diesel or gasser truck.

Here is my situation I have owned 6 diesel trucks in the past all Cummins older trucks high mileage. I do not tow I just love diesel trucks
right now I will be heading to college this will be a daily driven commuter and I have about 15k to buy a newer truck.

so is the smart choice to buy a f-150 gas truck and not buy my dream 6.0 diesel ?
Buy the 150.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hydro and Spirit

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Yeah, that's an easy one...Once you graduate college, you can probably skip-over the whole 6.0 experience and go directly to a new truck...

Reactions: letsmow10

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Eff Won Fiddy

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
So guys all of you have said f-150 has your experience with the 6.0 been that bad and that expensive?
Since I hate typing, espically on a phone, I will keep it short. I wouldn't say that bad but expensive, yes. I have spent more than I want to admit on my Excursion but I can't go buy a new one and I have other vehicles to drive. With your situation and life stage the smart thing to do is stay with a gas truck for now.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
So guys all of you have said f-150 has your experience with the 6.0 been that bad and that expensive?
Let's just say that you buying a 6.0L while in college could (and probably) will be a huge mistake. I have had mine since new and have damn near dumped the value of the truck back into it in parts and my labor. It is not a question of if it will break but when it will break. Most of the time it is way more involved to repair it, than a young college guy needs on his plate. The only thing I have paid for is 4.56 gears, and that is because I am not comfortable doing ring and pinions...aside from that this truck is like my wife....no one but me put their fingers in it. :ROFLMAO:

They are great when they run and will EMPTY your wallet quicker than you think when they break.....especially if you're not mechanically inclined, or have the ability to do ALL the work and need to pay for it to get repaired.

Go gas for now.

Just an opinion but I am sure you get what I am saying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, Jow Blow and letsmow10 I get where you guys are coming from and appreciate your replies I will be just sticking to a gas truck.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Good luck young man....you have plenty of time to spend your money on a 6.0L....although if I had to do it again...I WOULD NOT! 2007 Dodge HO Cummins with an NV4500 6 spd all the way!

Fk these engines, they are like toxic girlfriends.....they're great when they love you, but will wreck your sh*t when they don't.......I am stuck with it for now...just my opinion

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
There is a narrow space of time that will happen immediately after receiving your college diploma BUT before a woman snatches you...THAT'S the time to do all the weird things you have thought about, like buying a 6.0 or sharing an apartment with a local dancer, etc. You won't have much time, maybe 4-5 haircuts worth and your future mrs. will arrive, so time is of the essence. Talk with a lawyer about titling the truck -- do you have a dog? Good luck & godspeed...

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
There is a narrow space of time that will happen immediately after receiving your college diploma BUT before a woman snatches you...THAT'S the time to do all the weird things you have thought about, like buying a 6.0 or sharing an apartment with a local dancer, etc. You won't have much time, maybe 4-5 haircuts worth and your future mrs. will arrive, so time is of the essence. Talk with a lawyer about titling the truck -- do you have a dog? Good luck & godspeed...
The best advice you're going to get right there. Spoken like a real dad.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I agree with the rest of the guys here. If you have to have a truck then get a gas truck. Even better take 3K of your 15K budget and buy a beater sh** Box that gets good gas millage and is cheap on insurance. Then put the rest of the cash towards tuition so you don't have as heavy a student loan load. Then graduate, get that nice job, and have plenty of money to buy a nice new diesel truck.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Get something dead reliable and low maintenance at this stage of life.
Spend your spare time studying instead of wrenching on the side of the road.
Also spend a considerable amount of time choosing your major. The are about half of all grads living in mom’s basement because they spent $100K on a non marketable skill.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Get something dead reliable and low maintenance at this stage of life.
Spend your spare time studying instead of wrenching on the side of the road.
Also spend a considerable amount of time choosing your major. The are about half of all grads living in mom’s basement because they spent $100K on a non marketable skill.
I totally agree with you I am 23 and Will be taking aircraft engineering 2 years in school then 2 years paid apprenticeship after this I will be fully licensed as a aircraft engineer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts