Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is driving me nuts, there is a 100 dollar difference. between these 2 pumps.

One says it replaces the stock pump, and one says it feeds the stock pump.

I'm removing my stock pump, and doing a full electric pump regulated return upgrade.

These are my current 2 pump options, unless some one has something better?
Pump #1 feeds stock pump, and produces 55psi https://www.dieselmanor.com/pureflow/A4SPBF171.asp

Pump #2 replaces stock pump, and produces 45-75 psi https://www.dieselmanor.com/pureflow/A5SABF192.asp

I am not building a performance system, just fixing issues with the truck. Pump 1 looks like it produces the right flow with the right pressure. Couldn't it work with out the stock mechanical pump? I can't imagine why it wouldn't.

Pump 2 obviously will meet my needs, but it costs more.

I'd really like to go with pump 1 if it will work.

Any help please?

·
Rangers Lead The Way!
11,654 Posts
pump two

has to be. our trucks require 65ish psi of fuel pressure. and if you are dumping the stock pump something has to make 65psi

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
65psi? I thought it was in the 50 psi range

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I think I can go with pump 2

I'm doing a regulated return, so I guess I'll just set the airdog to 1 or 2 psi ABOVE what my return line regulator is.

·
Rangers Lead The Way!
11,654 Posts
Yeah actually try 5psi above. Makes it so when you smash the throttle there is still constant psi to the motor

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:scuffy

5psi, sounds good to me.
Pump 2 is bought and paid for, now the wait begins :crazy:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No kidding, my budget is headed out the door.

I'm doing a dual electric fuel pump system, my other pump is running just under $500 :yikes:

And I still have a bunch of stuff on my list.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I've saved way more money in fuel costs than what I'm spending now.

And once I'm done spending this time, I "shouldn't" have to spend any more on the fuel system.

I'm planning on the long term with this build up.

·
Rangers Lead The Way!
11,654 Posts
yeah idk Ive thought about WVO but I cant justify it. I am more performance oriented

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, on the performance side of things...... whats with your battery mod? I see it in your sig, what did you do?

I've got a battery mod of my own as well

·
Rangers Lead The Way!
11,654 Posts
i undid the passenger side ground cable, and ran a cable from that ground post over to the driver side ground. it turns it into a true parallel system

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cool beans, I've got to redo my cabling. I'll probably end up with a parallel as well.

I put 2 Optimas into mine, both on the passenger side.

It left me room for a straight piped diy intake, there's pics in my sig link

·
Rangers Lead The Way!
11,654 Posts
Ive been told its bad and im dumb for doing it. But i can crank and crank hard in the dead of cold glow plugs cycling and whatnot and never had a dead battery

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mail man came by....

I got my AirDog2 from the big brown truck today :woot:

This is a really nice looking kit :thumb:

2 things stood out to me though....

#1 The air/foam return line uses a tube that you have to splice into your fuel filler neck. I'll be using something different I think.

#2 The stand off spacer in the kit is a plastic part, the instructions list it as being aluminum. The whole pump and filter assemble will be hanging off the spacer in my application. I would feel much safer with an aluminum part, and I'll be calling them to get one.

I'll post about my install. I've decided to go with 1/2" lines for my rear tank. And 3/8" for my front tank.

Reason for this....... If I ever mod this truck on the wild side, I can use the rear tank for performance, and the front tank will be my daily driver.

I only took one pic, but the kit came with a TON of stuff, fuel lines, wiring harness, plate steel, oring kit,....... :woot:

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Getting closer.

I've got the low pressure light mounted, and all the fittings in.

I had to file the pump outlet fitting so that it wouldn't interfere with the rotation of the pressure bleed off fitting.

Not a big deal.

The fuel pickup line has a 90 degree fitting on it that connects to the tank, my truck would have worked better with a straight fitting instead.

've still got some work to do, but here are a few pics.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts