Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 97 F350 Crew Cab Powerstroke 4x4 with a Manual trans. A year ago I replaced my dual mass flywheel with a Solid. I had two Dual mass fail in aprx. 6 months. I have had a major chatter (surge) ever since. I only notice it while engaging the clutch. First or second gear starts, load or no load. (its worse with a load) I replaced the first solid flywheel and clutch assembly thinking I had a bad one from the factory. Same issues existed. I can't even back a trailer w/o putting it in low range. I'm thinking it must be elsewhere, any suggestions. It feels like motor surges as it feels a load and transfers through the drive train. Is this possible?
I have 160,000 miles and the truck is stock.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
when youve had this thing apart does the flywheel look like it has hot spots on it like its not machined correctly, or the pressure plate maybe, ost generally with the problem you are describing it is flywheel or clutch related

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There were no hot spots on the first solid I replaced. It looked fine. I had the friction people I purchased it through look at it as well. It seems unlikely to have two defective clutches in a row but I suppose it is possible.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The OBS manuals I have been around all act that way with the solid flywheel. I think when the motor goes below goverened idle it messes up the injection timing. I always had to give them a little go pedal, nut try not to slip the clutch excessively though. That was one good thing about the IDI, you could lug them alot better with a manual. Does yours go crazy if you leave it in a high gear and go near or at idle speed, and will not pull out of it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I try a second gear start in certain situations and lug it too much and have to put the clutch pedal in quickly to shift to first it will continue to surge for a short time before returning to a regular idle.
Sorry to be an idiot but what is OBS Manual vs IDI?

Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
OBS = 94.5-97 = Old Body Style
IDI = 85-94 Natural Aspirated (non tuorbo) 7.3 or 6.9

Powerstroke began in 94.5 with the Heui fuel system (electronic over hydraulic) basically the same through 03 minus some small changes

IDI was a non turbo mechanical injection engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts