Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fought to no end on how to fix this issue. The truck is making a extremely high pitch whistle sound from under the hood. It sounds some what like a leaf blower. I can not find any thing loose. This morning I went back over all the bolts and nothing was loose.

The only things I could think it would be are this.

Cracked up pipe-----> But I do not smell exhaust

leaking seal on egr block off------> It is as tight as possible maybe bad gasket

egr cooler block off plate in uppipe-----> no sign's of carbon build up around the area

Turbo------> when I cleaned the turbo the flanges had a very small gap but the vband fit and was able to tighten it.

I just replaced/cleaned the turbo and also did a egr/cooler delete before that the truck did not do this. I also puked after everything was put back together the coolant was over filled just a small bit. I replaced the cap and drained the extra coolant that fixed that problem.

I have only today to fix this. It has no effect on the performance of the truck at all. It just drives me insane to the point I want to burn the truck to the ground.

Please help before my beloved 6ho turns in to swiss cheese

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
What year is your truck

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
did you check your i/c boots?

i would bet money the off the turbo is ripped or the one coming off the intercooler going to the intake elbow is almost off.

check them, specially since you replaced the turbo and had them off. and the one off the turbo sometimes rips under the clamp so you would need to totally take it off

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year is your truck
the truck is a 04
did you check your i/c boots?

i would bet money the off the turbo is ripped or the one coming off the intercooler going to the intake elbow is almost off.

check them, specially since you replaced the turbo and had them off. and the one off the turbo sometimes rips under the clamp so you would need to totally take it off
I have a new i/c boot on the turbo side. I thought the same on the boot but Its not ripped. I readjusted it today also. Ill check the plastic boost tube.

THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY GUYS!!!

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
nm usually means nevermind.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
he certainly is trying hard everyday.

you sure the up pipe and y pipe arent cracked or leaking?

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
? whats that

never mind.

i posted the sametime you posted that you are gonna check the ic boots. so not to check the boots again when you have. and i couldnt delete the post so i typed nm.

o i thought it was new motor lol. I guess he wants to make his post count a little higher
:hehe:

he certainly is trying hard everyday.

you sure the up pipe and y pipe arent cracked or leaking?
:rofl:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My truck had a high pitched noise under boost and it was a cracked up pipe. Semi-Common issue.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
When my up pipe was cracked I couldn't smell any exhaust fumes but it had a very high pitched whistle.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
mine was so expanded that it was hitting the firewall and caused the worst sound.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
pull the y-pipe/up-pipe assembly and I bet you find one of the expansion joints cracked. Call Adam for a replacement.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
could I have cracked it while reinstalling the turbo? I have been told that you would deferentially smell the exhaust but some say no.

I hope to god its not.

Is there a write up on the removal a install. It looks to be a royal pita

·
Registered
317 Posts
i have a 6.4 but when mine whistled like that, it turned out to be a hole in the intercooler. I had it replaced under warranty and saved $900. Hopefully you get it figured out. Looks like you have a bad-*** Ford if thats your truck in your avatar.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
its probably the y pipe then..get under the truck and look up and see if the bellows are expanded/ or cracked

does it make the sound while you free rev it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts