Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where do the hoses go for the Tru-Cool Max #4739 cooler??? I've heard that this cooler is an add-on, and there's no need to disconnect the stock unit but I'm wondering how and where the hoses are hooked up??? My unit is for an 01' PSD and didn't recommend the by-pass, but I did order the install kit.

Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just tap into the lines from your old cooler and run them in series. IE run the line coming out of the trans to one of the adapters they give you and then use the hose they give you to go to the trucool, run the line out of trucool back to your stocker, and then just leave the return line from the stock cooler to the trans hooked up. it sounds way more confusing than it is its just hard to type out.

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
I added another cooler to mine just recently. I just removed the in-line filter that FORD installed with my rebuilt tranny (long gone) and went from the outlet of my stock cooler to the inlet of my new one and then from the outlet of my new one to my tranny return line. (The one that goes to the rear passenger side of the tranny.)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
The above is all true if you want the Tru cool in series with your stock cooler, but I recommend removing the stock cooler and simply replace it with the tru cool. If you got the tru cool max, the one I would recommend, it is basically the same as the cooler used in the V10 trucks. This was the mod to do prior to the 6.0's coming out, and I rarely heard of a trans getting hot with a tru cool max. The problem with putting after or before your stock cooler is it can restrict the flow of coolant, especially if you have had a trans go bad. If you decide to do this make sure you do a flow test when you are done. Pull the return line from the coolers off the back of the trans, or you can pull the exit line from your last cooler, start the truck, you want to see at least 1 quart every 30 sec, but I prefere 1 quart every 15 sec, if not you have some restrictions somewhere. Also don't use the bypass!!!! Your trans already has one and using one is just one more area for restriction. PM me with any ?

NCH

·
Registered
578 Posts
Did you order your cooler from the dieselsite? I ordered mine with the install kit and the instructions were pretty decent. I left the hot line from the tranny to the OEM cooler intact, and then removed the OEM return line to the tranny from the metal line junction behind the radiator and added the new hose there to send the fluid through the tru-cool before going back to the metal tranny return line.

All of my splicing and brass jive was done right behind the radiator where the metal lines from the trans go to rubber. No OEM rubber lines were cut or removed.

Oh and to clarify, my 2000 model F350 did not run any atf through the radiator so I left the OEM OTA cooler in place and added the tru cool max.

You'll love it! I am very happy with the cool transmission on my stock power level PSD.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HighBeam, I agree. I haven't installed it yet, but will be tomorrow evening. I think the 6.0 coolers are overpriced, IMO. I just want what works. $120.00 for the TC-Max is what I'm feelin'

1 - 7 of 7 Posts