Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK..I had a dumb*ss minute while servicing my 02 f 250, 7.3 diesel.
I put 4 1/2 gallons of oil in instead of the 3 1/2. The truck was started and running before I realized what had happened. After draining the oil and getting it right, I now have a leak..I thought it was coming from the dust cover but not sure. Old man says its a main seal. What could it possibly be due to over filling? is it the o rings on turbo? Could it be the seal?

·
Registered
484 Posts
not to sure but for an over fill i would say the rear main due to too much oil pressure thats just a guess.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The rear main seal is not common in a 7.3L.

I would wash everything down, and then see where it is coming from.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I'd change the oil right away, or at least drain out a gallon of oil. Also, 3.5 gallons = 14 quarts. My owners manual for my 2000 says it holds 15 quarts... :dunno:

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
The rear main seal is not common in a 7.3L.

I would wash everything down, and then see where it is coming from.
I second this idea. Clean it up and then run it again to see if you can locate where the oil is leaking from.
Craig

·
Registered
659 Posts
he already said that he drained it and my 7.3 holds 3.5 gallons also

·
I have excessive flatulance!!
1,273 Posts
Check the valley btw your valve covers if you see a puddle there check your o-rings on your HPOP lines. There should be two lines and a plug fitting. Thats a very common leak and it makes it look like ur rear main is leaking. It happened to me very easy to replace those seals and they come in a kit at ford..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts