Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been a problem for 6 weeks. Truck is a '95 PSD. Truck was intermittently shutting off, would still start right back up though, lack of power, motor cutting off while driving. I put in a new CPS sensor, still the same probs. Truck is throwing a p1280 and a p1298 code. I figured it was the IDM, so I swapped in an IDM from a '97, still same probs. When I was driving on the road my wife was following me and saw a huge plume of black smoke come out of the tailpipe when my motor was cutting out. HELP!!! I've had the truck in two different shops and after $160+30 for the CPS I didn't need I'm going broke!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
84master, Ok, I looked up the two codes you listed on alldatadiy.com. Their descriptions are as follows.

code #, circuit index, condition description, comments, probable causes.

1280 code: ICP, ICP circuit out of range low, uses inferred ICP strategy, open/grounded circuit biased sensor or PCM.

1298 code: PCED, IDM failure, (no comments), internal IDM failure.

Hope this helps. I'm curious, since you said you already replaced the IDM, I wonder if it might actually be the PCM and not the IDM. I'm not sure though. Is it possible for a faulty PCM to damage, or cause an IDM failure?

Hopefully some more knowledgeable guys will get on here about this.

mike

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm not sure if the PCM was toasted, if the truck would start or not. The ICP is Injector Control Pressure I think.

mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts