Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Any updates on the black diamond head gaskets.

I have a 04 f350 with 304,000 miles. Never studded or gasket change. One of my head gaskets is leaking oil. Are these still the best gaskets to use along with the arp studs.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,774 Posts
Hello.

Any updates on the black diamond head gaskets.

I have a 04 f350 with 304,000 miles. Never studded or gasket change. One of my head gaskets is leaking oil. Are these still the best gaskets to use along with the arp studs.
Your head gasket is leaking oil? What gives you that inclination?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it in for a oil change. The Tech told me there is oil at the bottom of the right head and said it looks to be the head gasket. IDK i'm not a mechanic. I'm trying to research this before spending money on something I may not need. I did read it could be the icp

·
Super Moderator
12,764 Posts
New thread started to keep the BD gasket one clean.

Your head gasket is likely not the cause of the leak, as it's main sealing job is to seal combustion gases and coolant. Oil is not totally out of the question, but much rarer. Did the tech say it was from the front of the head or the rear? Couple different places it could be from depending on if it was on the front corner/middle/rear corner.

Main offenders are usually the glow plug harnesses, valve cover gaskets, rocker box gaskets (what the tech may have mislabeled as the "head")

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He said the rear bottom edge. Its been a couple years but the harness and valve cover gaskets have been changed but could be leaking again. The truck runs and drives fine. No white smoke. Doesn't run hot. Just have this oil leak. I can hear on the driver side from in the cab I lite ticking sound. May just be exhaust leak. I know at some point most everyone has had to do the studs and gaskets. With 304k miles on it I'm getting worried mine are due. I already have the arp studs and inner row bolts incase I have to do this. Are the BD gaskets still the way to go?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I'm betting it's not HG's. More than likely it's the Rocker Box. Was the guy a Ford or 6.0 Tech? or one of the guys in the Quick Lane? It's not hard for someone who does mainly oil changes to make this mistake.

k

1 - 8 of 8 Posts