Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an 05 F250 6.0.

I was driving earlier today and my EGT jumped up to 2400+F and stayed up there. Once in a while this will happen but it will drop right back down to
600 - 800 and I assume its just a glitch, but this time it stayed and
was bouncing all over the place anywhere from 1500 - 2500 so i turned around and drove home and shut the truck off. Came back about 5 hours later to see
if it resolved itself and seemed to. I was driving on the mileage tune before, but this time I bumped it up to the race tune and a really got on it. Only this time the EGT got no higher than 950. By the way im getting these readings from an edge w/ attitude. EOT and ECT are both fine. Boost is all good.

Is this something i should worry about or do these tuners tend to be glitchy and misread occasionally?

Any Helps is appreciated.
Thanks, Adam

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I would say it is something wrong with your edge, there's no way I can see your trucks EGTs getting that out of whack just all of a sudden... Especially just driving and having it jump way up then come back down, maybe it's a issue with the probe or wiring but I would bet it's a problem with the edge it's self

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
It's the temperature probe. There is ZERO chance that your exhaust is getting to 2400 degrees because of the Edge, unless you have a friggin acetylene bottle hooked up. :) The gauge converts electrical resistance in the probe to temperature so there is a spot somewhere in the wire where it is shorting out causing the resistance to jump around. Also, keep in mind that if you shorten the wire to the probe you will also affect the resistance and cause an improper reading. I don't know how much of an error it will produce but it will be some kind of small error.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
I would say its a faulty EGT probe / or an issue with wiring. 2400* and you'd have more than just the Edge telling you its hot, you'd be melting a blowing parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts