Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried to replace the cam sensor on my friends truck and it is stuck and cannot be pulled out. Its made of plastic and afraid it will break inside.

How to loosen the probe inside to pull it out, I am afraid old oil has seized it inside.

I do not know the history of the truck.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Try spraying around the probe with brake ckean or carb cleaner then wd-40.
Is there eough left sticking out the block to grab?

The carb cleaner may soften up the plastic or make it brittle tho make it break apart your at a catch 22 right now. Last time I had to get one out I had to drop the pan and drive it out with a stiff wire.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sprayed WD40 and the head wiggles but I pull and it still held to the probe. Pan wow a big project for sure. Its a 4 x 4.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
The real question: Is the cam sensor bad?

Just a pretty uncommon problem on the 6.0...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have checked every wire and the truck still stalls with all readings on the gauges normal. I had the same thing done on warranty for the same staling problem. It will start with the padel down just will not start unless reving faster then Idle.

Now due to being stuck I have a feeling that it needs attention anyway. Might be an oil mess or dirth causing the miss without a code as mine did.

If we keep the accelerator on the truck works fine but at idle it will stall now everytime we take the pedal off. Its been like that for months, we just got mad and trying to change the Sensor because the Tech at Ford at the time mine was done told me it was a silent recall. Not as bad as the 7.3L.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
well either way it's gonna have to come out sooner or later. I haven't broken a cmp sensor off in the block but it's one of those things you hear about. I'm thinking a red hot screw driven into the sensor might be useful for leveraging it out if it does infact break off. You may need to pull the power steering pump to get at it though.

Work at it with some penetrating oil if it's still not coming out and you don't feel comfortable messing with it by all means leave it to a professional ;)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I do have the pump out of the way. The steel end of the probe must be stuck. Is there steel to the outer end as it seam to be strong still as I am able to pull on it.
I might get the fender well out of the way and get a chance to realy work at it. I did think about the screw method if I have to get to it. Pentrating oil is what I will do for an overnight soak.

Is there a sectional view of a sensor available somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hmm... Well the sensor has 2 o rings on it that are most likely seized in the bore.

Twisting and pulling may be the only option.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have the new one in my hands and to me o-rings need a lot of dirt to hold llike it does.
I found a detail on Wikipidia, and the probe seam to extend out of the block if the connection breaks off.

I figure due to the reason its plastic the pulling pressure is limited.

·
Winning DUHHH
2,389 Posts
Pull hard, o rings are just doing their job, sealing

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

1 - 10 of 10 Posts