Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 06 6.0 and after i drive for about 5 min when i take off blue smoke comes out . i had sct with idp tunes on it and my tranny took a dump so now i got the tranny fixed and not running the tune and is doing this anyone have any thoughts.:confused:

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
While its running unscrew the eng oil fill cap and see if there is any air flow. There shouldn't be. Napkin, back of the hand, paper. Put over the hole to check for flow.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,272 Posts
You need to see what the smoke smells like. Blue smoke could indicate oil burning, but it could also be fuel.

I just recently checked to see if the ccv filter I installed was causing a back-pressure on the crankcase. I rigged up a hose to my dipstick tube and to a pressure/vacuum gauge. At all speeds (w/ a hot engine) there was no pressure generated. I did see a very slight vacuum generated at WOT.

Excessive crankcase pressure can lead to loss of oil and possibly to oil consumption.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well at idle it doesnt smoke but i smelled it and it smelled normal. do you think it is ok to drive

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
a piston leak? what would cause that.
nothing specific.

Rings fail, melt a piston. From high EGT's. sustained or not, high EGT's will do this. or no oil...........

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,272 Posts
Just to be clear - no flow of vapors from the oil filter cap is good (ie no pressure build). A large vapor flow is bad!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts