Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2003 6.0 seems to be having a ongoing problem with the chargeing system . i dont
know if this could be due to a short or possably a alternator/chargeing problem.my batteries are semi new (1 year) and have been load tested and checked out good.the alternater isputting out 14
volts buti have had some hints that it is possibly a chargeing problem because the icon on the dash has come on a coulpe of times but went off after a while , my question is do you think that there could be a periododic problem with my alternator and not chargeing all the time,(when my headlights are on sometimes they will flicker dimmer and brighter like a charging issue )?. or do you think there is a freaking short in my electrical system ? thanks t.s. in so cal.

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection on the alternator to me. You might also pull the alternator and have it bench tested for proper voltage under a load. Take it to any of your local auto parts stores.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had a very similar problem with my 03. It frustrated me for a while because my batteries and Alt tested ok and the wiring connections looked fine. After about a month it was clearly the alternator and I replaced it with a rebuilt one from Napa. Paid about $150 for a 140amp one and it's been great since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts