Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone
yesterday I decided do glow plugs due to bad cold starts and 4 glow plugs show infinite resistance.
I did driver side no problem, but first glow plug on passenger side got stuck. I decided to take it out using this guy method:

Spent 4-5 hours tapping gentle and finally it came out, but the very tip of the glow plug was broken.
I dont know if still inside or felt inside... I can´t see trough the little hole.

I took the broken glow plug and put it together to compare it, to see how much it loose, and is the very last part...

I don´t know what to do... and looking for some help
Is it safe to start the engine with that little piece of metal around?, maybe just crank to see of the tip fly out?
Should I try a powerful small magnet?
Or should I pull the head off.. please no

All other glow plugs were motorcraft but this one... :frown2:

Any input is welcome
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Double and triple check it didn't fall down in there. Use a small wire to see if it goes down through the hole. If not try cranking it over with IDM fuse pulled and valve cover off and see if it shoots out. Even then i'd like to know where that piece shoots out. Interesting that the tip broke off. Could have been like that for a while.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi White, thanks for your reply.

I talked to a mechanic friend and decided to crank it and see if the piece goes out by compression, if nothing happens will put a new glow plug and drive it. He told me it happens to him a few times and he believe that glow plug piece was broken and not working long ago.

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,903 Posts
That part of the tip sticks through the head anyway. Most likely its not even in the hole. I would follow White95's advice and use a long screwdriver and see if it goes down through the hole.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So... if the piece still in there and doesn´t come out with cranking, what is safe to do?

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,903 Posts
So... if the piece still in there and doesn´t come out with cranking, what is safe to do?
You already know the awnser to this....

Safe and correct....get the peice out. Most likely means the head has to go on vacation for a minute.

Edit: guess I should say verify the peice is actually still in the cylinder and if so get it out. If it's not then you got lucky and install the new plug and do burnouts!!

Lamp? What lamp? I've moved on to tactical rail mount led. I love rail mount led!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterday I put a long plastic tie down trough the hole and couldnt make it all the way...

I just cranked the engine.. I hear air coming out the hole.. coudn´t hear any "bullet" coming out, neither find trace of any object coming out... but this time I can put the zip tie further than yesterday.

Just in case, what is the best method to verify that the piece is actually still in the cylinder?

BTW I)´m in Chile in the patagonia area, not so many powerstrokes around neither good mechanics... Im trying to do everything by myself, so thanks a lot for your inputs guys.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Just in case, what is the best method to verify that the piece is actually still in the cylinder?
Without pulling the head? boroscope

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will check cylinder just in case.

Thanks a lot for all the replies.
cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts