Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a friends 06 f250 and having trouble removing glow plug on cylinder 7 . I've being using alot of PB Blaster and got it loose just doesn't want to come out it's either very swollen or alot of carbon. Any help would be appreciated. I am able to get some need hose pliers right to the bolt but can't pull it out .

·
Premium Member
11,854 Posts
Lay a towel over it and crank the engine over a few turns with the starter wire on the passenger side fender. Just don't have the ignition switch on.

If you don't know which wire, maybe keep trying the needle nose. Or Google it, whichever.

Edit: This is assuming all you're doing is glow plugs. If you've got other parts torn off you may not want to turn the engine.

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
Local man "shot" in the leg while trying to remove a glow plug from a 6.0

Hold my beer, Jimmy - Ima go WOT, that'll blow that thing out of the head

All seriousness aside, the tip may just have carbon built up -- penetrating oil may help -- or it may be swollen, in which case you would need to pull the top off the head - oil rail, rocker, injector -- so you can get vice grips on the plug body

Be careful not to damage the hole where the harness seals the oil

·
Premium Member
11,854 Posts
If he get's it in the leg, he's doing it wrong. LOL

It may be a bit of a ******* approach, but if bumping the engine over doesn't pop it out, it's pretty gummed up. You'd think unscrewing it would have broken up the carbon and the tip doesn't stick very far past the head surface. I might also try using an air or electric ratchet on it to spin it some more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was really gummed up I think squeaking like hell when I would turn it but now it seems pretty loose . I did have it apart for STC fitting and dummy plugs ,but I think I will put everything back together and turn the motor after I put more penetrating oil in it and try the air tool approach also and leave disassembling part of the head as a last resort . Also Leroy Diesel advertises a tool for the 6.2 and 6.5 diesel to remove stuck glow plugs , wonder if that tool will fit .

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
When you get that plug out of the hole -- you need to clean the hole of carbon buildup, before installing new plugs

A snake cam works well to see into the hole -- installing on top of carbon will cause the new plug to seize in the hole from compression leaking

A pistol cleaning brush can be used to brush out the hole -- you need two sizes, on for the tip diameter and the other for the body diameter

Can you fit the needle nose vice grips onto the glow plug?

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
The tip of the plug is likely swollen -- pulling while rotating back and forth should swage the tip back into a shape to pull out -- the tip is a hollow tube with the heating element inside, surrounded with an insulating powder

Sometimes you can get the tip swaged back into place enough to force it thru the hole -- but I have had to pull heads and cut the bulged part off

Not sure why they will bulge, I have seen tips split before also -- the tip gets red hot, so the metal is soft at that point -- something causes a pressure buildup inside the tip and "balloons" the soft metal -- possible a leaking seal where the tip metal is joined to the body -- that part is welded and may crack with the normal heat stress

Reactions: TooManyToys

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Have you doubled or tripled the "wait to start" to heat up the glow plugs hotter?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally ! I went and purchased some foul plugs at auto parts and screwed them on to the gp , got a big screw driver and good leverage and pushed sucker out . had alot of carbon build up . Thanks everyone for your advice

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
Yeah, I am interested in the name of the tool -- didn't know there was a tool that looked like that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts