Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so here is the problem I was driving my truck yesterday and everything was fine then I parked at my house and went to turn it on and nothing. All I had was a single click with no crank or anything. I cleaned the connection to my starter and checked all fuses including the ones under the hood and they are all fine.

I have no idea what could be wrong, any help is appreciated

Thanks, matt

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No its not the CPS cause it doesnt crank and I just replaced it two weeks ago

·
Registered
521 Posts
Did you confirm that the batteries are good?

It could be that your starter is hung up. If it got hot then the housing expanded and the gear is bound up the fly wheel. You might be able to release it by lossening the starter. If I were going to go that far, I would take it out and have it checked.

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,740 Posts
just thinking out loud.....I had the same problem, on the starter, theres a small metal jumper, across two of the post. I know you said you checked/ cleaned the connections, it may be loose. I pulled my starter off in a autozone parking lot ( thats where she died) had it checked 3 times. It checked ok. Just happned to see it arc as a friend was cranking on the truck. It would arc enough to click, and not move, but it wasent tight enough to make a good conection. Its easy to miss, due to not having to remove the tab when removing the starter.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks man, I haven't had the batteries load tested yet but I was going to do that today and what you said about the starter is possible becuase it happened after I went mudding yesterday so the engine was pretty hot so Ill go ahead and pull it out and get it tested.

Thanks again

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just thinking out loud.....I had the same problem, on the starter, theres a small metal jumper, across two of the post. I know you said you checked/ cleaned the connections, it may be loose. I pulled my starter off in a autozone parking lot ( thats where she died) had it checked 3 times. It checked ok. Just happned to see it arc as a friend was cranking on the truck. It would arc enough to click, and not move, but it wasent tight enough to make a good conection. Its easy to miss, due to not having to remove the tab when removing the starter.
Ok this sounds very much like it could be my problem, so are you saying that its the jumper that could be loose or just the nut holding the positive cable on that needs to be tightened. Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question I'm just a little confused:tard:

Thanks, Matt

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
fix 7.3

Is it a 4 or 5 speed? and jody what apart of mesa do you live in.cause I went to school there.but anyway it sounds like batters,no door chim?did you leave the lights on?

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its a 4 speed, I dont think its the batteries cuase I havent left anything on and all my lights still work and door chimes and everything

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
fix 7.3

man this is hard.without the truck here,ya right.could it be the switch for clutch?Let me think!!! I have a customers truck right out my door and same year so hold on

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No I havent try hitting it with a hammer, Might be a stupid question but what would hitting it with a hammer do?

Thanks

·
Registered
521 Posts
and jody what apart of mesa do you live in.cause I went to school there.
I live at Gilbert and McKellips. I own a buisness at Power and Southern, I grew up at Gilbert and Southern and went to Mesa High class of 91.

And that's pretty much my life story. Well not really. But I have not lived anywhere else.

·
Registered
521 Posts
No I havent try hitting it with a hammer, Might be a stupid question but what would hitting it with a hammer do?

Thanks
If the starter is stuck then it could dislodge it.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
fix 7.3

man I say batters and ya starter.do you have a charger there.put it on and see if it holds a charge?do you know how to jump the starter with charger?for jody I went to mesa high and westwood I lived on broadway and willams,reed park.I hear its a real hell hole there now? my brother still lives in mesa.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts