Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently heard our F250 powerstroke sputter at startup so we changed the fuel filter. It seemed to fix it, the test drive went fine, no sputtering. Then we heard it sputter the next time we started it and figured maybe its working some air out or something. Well it continues to get worse but it doesnt always do it. It usually does when it starts after sitting a while. It also does it when you decelerate from highway 60-70 mph down to a stop for a light, etc. But on slow neighborhood roads it doesnt do it when you slow to a stop. So there are some times we can expect it to happen but its overall not really consistent about when it sputters. Pressing the gas pedal seems to help work it out some. Do you think its a fuel injector that may be clogged? If so will seafoam be enough to fix it? Could it have been bad diesel thats working itself out? Could it be the air filter? We have an aftermarket air filter that is reusable. Any other advice or help is much appreciated. We want to take it on a trip and are wondering if its something we should fix before driving a long distance. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
check the oil level verify its full.

next pull the connector on the icp sensor, if oil is coming through its tie for a new one.

leave the icp unplugged and start it up and see if it sputters

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is an ICP sensor? Ford told us it could be the cam sensor so we replaced that. not sure if that's helped or not. Doesn't seem different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We drove from VA to Ohio 4 hours away and back and didn't have one issue the entire trip. Came home and drove to town and it was sputtering worse than ever, this time even while at higher speeds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
icp sensor update

We can start it up and it wont sputter sometimes, but it will start sputtering while driving when not pressing the gas...it sputters only when in idle or slowing down around curves with no foot on gas pedal. We started it up just now and it sounded fine. Then we found icp sensor and unplugged it, there was no oil present or leaking. Left it unplugged. Started it up, still no sputtering. So not sure if that answers any questions or not?! We are so confused.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the EXACT same problem as Lindsay mentioned! I've cleaned fuel bowl, changed filters, changed oil, changed CPS, ICP sensor, cleaned out IPR. checked all oil and fuel O-rings. No change at all with southwest under load. I also did the Hutch Mod years ago so tank shouldnt be an issue. I do get constant EBPS codes on my Edge tuner, but NOT on any other scan tools. I just don't think EBPS code would cause this type of sputter/ miss at Lowes rpm but will address it this weekend.

What is going on hear guys? where do I look next? IDM? Buzz test? Fuel pressure test?
Help! 😦

·
SUCK SQUEEZE BANG BOOM
96 Posts
Have you checked the IPR, is the 3/4" nut loose on the back? is the electrical connector to it FUBAR, weather pack melted arcing inside it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts