Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,266 Posts
What year model? Will it crank strongly, but just not start? Are you sure the fuel pump is pumping (secondary fuel filter bowl fills up)? When did you change the fuel filters last? Do you have a good oil level? How old is your oil and filters?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year model? Will it crank strongly, but just not start? Are you sure the fuel pump is pumping (secondary fuel filter bowl fills up)? When did you change the fuel filters last? Do you have a good oil level? How old is your oil and filters?
03 excursion yes it cranks good.sucked some fuel out of to filter area filled right back up.oil level is good filters are all good as it just was head studded and egr delete installed less than 500 miles ago.tried starting fluid and did not hit

·
6,266 Posts
Here is a guide I have started to put together (just a spare time thing). It may or may not help ....

Troubleshooting a NO-START:
Pull diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) if you can (you can have codes without a Check Engine Light).
Automatic transmission fully in PARK or NEUTRAL?
If manual, clutch pedal fully pressed?
Battery connections (including ground) - all good?
Starter relay connections - all good?
Glow plug connectors making good connection?
Is the starter engaging? Verify starter and ignition switch are working properly.
Load test BOTH batteries and check the charging system (alternator)
Fusible links and fuses OK?
Could an anti-theft device be causing the problem?
Check PCM and FICM connections - any wire chaffing?
Verify that the oil level is correct and the proper oil and filter have been installed
Verify that the air filter is not plugged.
Inspect the ICP sensor and harness. Is it oil soaked. Disconnect the ICP and try again.
Change both fuel filters, inspect appearance of the fuel when draining the water separator, makes sure the air is purged.
Check for leaks in the fuel system and verify that the upper fuel filter is being filled
If you can, verify the fuel pressure. Must be over 45 psig.
If possible, verify high pressure oil pressure (ICP sensor) - must be over 500 psig to fire the injectors
"Pull the EGR valve and inspect. Clean if dirty. Check the strength of the spring. Consider replacing it - just because.
Also clean the MAP sensor hose and the EBP tube."
Troubleshoot the glow plug system (you need a clamp on inductive ammeter). Test each module wire bundle separately, then test each glow plug.
Carry out the KOEO Injector Electrical Self-Test (Click Test)
Check for wire chaffing:
Wire Chaffing Locations
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...1&d=1208412696
FICM and ICP harness recall
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-05-13.php
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-05-11.php
mms://multimedia.ford.com/seopts/Tech12_250k.wmv

·
6,266 Posts
You need to buy parts for that unless you already have it with a set of aftermarket gauges.

There is a test port on the front of Secondary Fuel Filter housing. Autometer uses M12x1.5 to 1/8" NPT fitting to make use of this test port.

I believe you can also buy a fuel filter cap w/ a threaded connection for a gauge.

You need to be carefull w/ the fitting that screws into the test port. Some folks have bought the wrong fitting and cracked the filter housing.

Fuel Pressure adapter and hose (for remote location of the sending unit (install lower than the fuel filter bowl test port that it connects to).
6.0L Fuel Pressure Adapter

·
Banned
324 Posts
When I picked up our van from the dealer they were working on just such a problem and the thinking was that one/some of the o rings on the fuel tubes, solinoids was/were cracked and the minimum oil pressure required to open operate the system was not being reached:dunno:

·
Registered
726 Posts
sounds like a oil pressure problem there is a sensor located behind the turbo on the block on the 03 had one about two weeks ago same problem regulates the oil pressure sends a signal was getin no signal but would deffinatly check others before jumping into that job 03 turbo is a pretty good job, check all fuses and a good guide that bismic created.

·
6,266 Posts
sounds like a oil pressure problem there is a sensor located behind the turbo on the block on the 03 had one about two weeks ago same problem regulates the oil pressure sends a signal was getin no signal but would deffinatly check others before jumping into that job 03 turbo is a pretty good job, check all fuses and a good guide that bismic created.
Thanks! If there is any way I can make it better, I would love to hear suggestions.

The ICP is #15 on the list. I tried to put them in an order of "easy-to-harder". before taking it in to the dealeship, I would definitely pull the connector off of the ICP and try to start it on ANY '03 model w/ a "no-start" condition.

If he is at the fuel pressure line item, I was wondering if he had already disconnected the ICP.

·
6,266 Posts
wheres the icp sensor on the 6.0?
the 6.0 have a injection regulator too?
The ICP is behind and beneath the turbo on the 2003 and EARLY 2004 model years. It is on the passenger side valve cover on the later model years.

Yes it also has an IPR.

·
6,266 Posts
can you reach it to unplug it on the 03? with out removing a turbo? how about replacing it?
yes to both questions, but it is awkward and you need a "modified" tool to remove it.

·
6,266 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts